Omitting Coffee from Daily Journal

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee, because it has so few calories and I drink a consistent amount of it which I have no current plans to change. If I'm at 1935 instead of 1900 or so, who cares. Rounding error. If I don't lose/maintain as I like I'll just cut calories, coffee has nothing to do with it. Plus, I've never logged coffee, so it's not included in my estimate of TDEE from results.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I usually just did a 100 cal "quick add" per day to account for black coffee, lemon squeezes, dashes of hot sauce or mustard, etc. It made me feel more accountable and was useful when my deficit was small to make sure I wasn't going over accidentally.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't log the coffee- if I add milk/sugar- I add that- but I drink so much of it- I don't bother.
  • scottaking
    scottaking Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If my phone is close by, I'll log it. If not, then I don't. That's my rule for black coffee. If making a BPC, I'll definitely log it.
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Log it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I just log it for the potassium

I'm going to start logging it because of this.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't log black coffee. At about 5 cals (or so) per cup, and 2 or 3 cups per day... I can't be bothered.
    Everything we enter is an estimate anyway, so I'm prepared to skip 10 or so cals a day.

But, you also won't find me posting "OMG, why am I not losing weight?"
    I know there are some rubbery figures in my diary, but I'm happy with my progress so I will keep going like this.

I do log lattes - due to the milk, they are more like 90+ cals so they go in.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't log black coffee, pre-workouts, diet sodas, or water. That's a complete waste of time.
  • gatorsong
    gatorsong Posts: 7,000 Member
    Options
    The only reason I log mine is to see how much I am drinking. It's just a reminder, more or less, for me. I don't have a caffeine addiction or any gravely ill effects, it's just so I can have a visual reminder.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    When it's black, I don't bother. If I ever add anything to it, I'll log that addition precisely though.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't log the coffee itself (though it looks as if I should because potassium) just the stuff I mix into it.

I do account for it as a cup of water intake though. IIRC, a 10 ounce cup of black coffee has about 3 calories in it. If I've had a lot of coffee, I could maybe see doing a quick add for the calories, but for most of us, that's a rounding error (as someone so succinctly put it).
  • kangietan28
    kangietan28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I log in my daily coffee too. I quit creamer totally because read it somewhere that creamer is a total NO. I add those Anlene milk powder instead. It has milk content and lot of calcium. Which I think its so much more healthy since it covers calcium. =) ever since I use this diary, I cut from two cubes of sugar to just one cube.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I only log the milk and sugar that I put in my coffee. I don't bother to log the actual coffee.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I never logged my coffee.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I made my 2 cups of coffee with creamer and milk (yes, both) as a 'meal' so I add them all at once each day since it's less effort than adding the milk & creamer separately.

I don't log herbs, condiments, and some veggies. If I got to a point where I stopped losing and didn't know why, I'd log more meticulously but right now I'm cool with being more laid back about it.
  • XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The only reason I log my coffee is for the potassium
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I used to only log my creamer until I started paying attention to my daily potassium intake (woefully below 3500 mg every day despite my best efforts) and I realized coffee has a lot of potassium! That is the only reason I log it now.