The Five Pound Hump!

Options
Ugh, the five pound hump! Leveling off is the worst part of this lol. I know it's only temporary and it will pick up again shortly, but, man! After you've seen that needle steadily decreasing over the past few weeks and then nothing, day after day, it starts to tick you off a little.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Just keep pressing on, they will come off eventually. It took me 6 months to lose my last 5lbs but I was enjoying eating closer to maintenance calories and didn't mind the wait.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling.

The unfortunate truth is that the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower the scale will move. I was lucky to see 1 lb loss in 2 months. The one thing I would strongly suggest for anyone trying to lose weight is NOT to look at the scale more then maybe once a month - unless you can handle the daily fluctuations, because it will just piss you off.
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You didn't say this is your last 5 pounds, unless that's what you mean by "leveling off" but if it is...yes, it could take awhile. I agree with Koldnomore, don't look at the scale very often, just enjoy your new body and health! Just concentrate on continuing to eat healthy which is your new lifestyle instead of the scale. That weight will come off. Congratulations on your success!! Keep on trucking!!!
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have 70 to go and have been on a stall for 14 days. Getting desperate to be honest.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    True! Need to get back to fat burning mode.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I have 70 to go and have been on a stall for 14 days. Getting desperate to be honest.
    There's no reason to get desperate. This is typical of me. I weigh myself daily, but I see drops only a few times a month. I often go 2-4 weeks with no drop, then Whoosh! A few pounds come off in a few days. I went the whole month of June with no loss, and now I've lost 2 pounds over the holiday weekend! I have no explanation for it, I don't particularly "like" it, but I know that's what happens. So I just ignore it and stick with my plan.

Do be sure all your weighing and logging is accurate. As you lose, you need to recalc your calorie needs and/or accept a slower loss rate.
  • jander215
    jander215 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The dreaded plateau! I've hit several and what worked for me was making a change. I started eating every 3 hours (which I realize I should have done all along) and I started to loose again. Next plateau - I changed my exercise. Was doing pretty much only cardio like zumba for 60min 4-5 days a week, but changed to Hiit style workouts and adding more strength circuits instead and that worked. By body just got used to that particular exercise so it was accommodating.
    Plus side is, if your at a plateau your not gaining - and a plateau only happens after you've lost so that's a great thing!
  • lauranewman130
    lauranewman130 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Is this the last 5 for you? I lost 40 pounds and now need to get that last cling-on fat off - I'd say it's about 5 pounds. I'm really happy with where I'm at but that stubborn fat just irks me! Have you tried carb cycling? I've found just a short bout of it - change in my macros helped to break a plateau in the last. Didn't eliminate carbs all together - just reduction.
  • onemorelardo
    onemorelardo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Is this the last 5 for you? I lost 40 pounds and now need to get that last cling-on fat off - I'd say it's about 5 pounds. I'm really happy with where I'm at but that stubborn fat just irks me! Have you tried carb cycling? I've found just a short bout of it - change in my macros helped to break a plateau in the last. Didn't eliminate carbs all together - just reduction.

It's not my last five but my second to last five. I'm within the ten pound marker and have just stalled completely. I ddon't mind saying that it is quite bothersome.