Creating your own at home full body work out???

Options
ZLARZ
ZLARZ Posts: 63 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I do not have internet or dish/cable either. So unfortunately, I have no access to workouts online or such. I've been using several of Jillian Michaels dvds and have been seeing results but want a longer workout and to change it up a bit. Has anyone ever created their own workouts and gotten success. I have 5 & 10lb dumbbells and a excercise ball. Should I inve st in a kettle?
I'm 31, female, weigh 140 and my goal is 130 or 135 tops. So im still at a calorie deficit to lose. I lost almost 50 lbs under 5 months. Went about it all wrong. So I lost a lot of muscle too cuz I'm "skinny-fat" as they say. I have lots of loose skin and fat. Anyways, just some background for ya. I want to tone up and build muscle but not too bulky.
I currently do a JM workout (half hour) then zumba or elliptical for 30 mins also.
I was thinking of taking some of JM moves and adding some other basic but effective ones too (squats, lunges, push ups, planks, etc) and doing some reps then a minute of fast paced something or other in between (jumping jacks, skater lunges, high knees/butt kicks etc) and making a routine of it.
Does this sound good? I'm so scared to try something new.

Replies

• sunshines4nate
    sunshines4nate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ZLARZ wrote: »
    I do not have internet or dish/cable either. So unfortunately, I have no access to workouts online or such. I've been using several of Jillian Michaels dvds and have been seeing results but want a longer workout and to change it up a bit. Has anyone ever created their own workouts and gotten success.
    I'm 31, female, weigh 140 and my goal is 130 or 135 tops. So im still at a calorie deficit to lose. I lost almost 50 lbs under 5 months. Went about it all wrong. So I lost a lot of muscle too cuz I'm "skinny-fat" as they say. I have lots of loose skin and fat. Anyways, just some background for ya. I want to tone up and build muscle but not too bulky.
    I currently do a JM workout (half hour) then zumba or elliptical for 30 mins also.
    I was thinking of taking some of JM moves and adding some other basic but effective ones too (squats, lunges, push ups, planks, etc) and doing some reps then a minute of fast paced something or other in between (jumping jacks, skater lunges, high knees/butt kicks etc) and making a routine of it.
    Does this sound good? I'm so scared to try something new.

If you google CORE leg and bum workout the first pic that shows up is painful to do.. but i think it would be a good addition! It involves squats, wall sits, lunges etc! Might be worth a try?
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Look to build muscle. I promise you will not get too bulky. If you can't go to a gym and only have access to 5 & 10 lb dumbbells you will quickly outstrip any real use of such light weights. But a routine built upon compound movements is what you'll want to start with. Dumbbell Squats, Pushups, Dumbbell floor press, Overhead Dumbbell Press, Back Rows. If you can get a pullup bar in your home then working up to that is great for your back and will give you a great goal.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Body By You" by Mark Lauren are books which give full body, progressive, home/hotel room friendly work out programs.

No equipment required.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Its hard to beat doing planks. I would do 30 sec side, rest, 30 sec front, rest, 30 sec side, rest and then leg raises. repeat for 15 minutes.
  • ZLARZ
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    Look to build muscle. I promise you will not get too bulky. If you can't go to a gym and only have access to 5 & 10 lb dumbbells you will quickly outstrip any real use of such light weights. But a routine built upon compound movements is what you'll want to start with. Dumbbell Squats, Pushups, Dumbbell floor press, Overhead Dumbbell Press, Back Rows. If you can get a pullup bar in your home then working up to that is great for your back and will give you a great goal.

Are you saying that I'll have to keep increasing my dumbell weights? That's kinda what I wondering too...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    ZLARZ wrote: »
    illyich wrote: »

Are you saying that I'll have to keep increasing my dumbell weights? That's kinda what I wondering too...

You need to not be scared to try something new... You tried something before and it was new at one point so now you are ready for something different to improve right?

You want to put on muscle you lost? Yes you do need to progressively increase weights... Why not start with body weight first.. then move to weights..

You are (we all are) so far far and away from being bulky..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • ZLARZ
    Options
    I know this is a dumb question, but how do you keep increasing weight...? I mean I started with 5 lbs, still doing thise. Still seeing results after a few months. I cold move up to 8lbs and then my 10lbs but I mean what happens after that? Can you get toned and stay toned with same excercises and dumbell weights?