Advice/Tips on Overcoming a Weightloss plateau?

Options
Hi! So I have lost 25 pounds since mid-January, but have not been able to lose a single pound in the last 3.5 weeks. Well I lose one pound and gained it back. I was consistently losing 1 lb per week, but now that my weight is healthy for my height/age/etc, I'm having a hard time and my weightloss has slowed tremendously. I would like to however lose an additional 10 lbs - my BMI is about 23.5, so I can definitely do better than what I'm at right now. I tried lowering my carbs and increasing cardio, but if I go any lower than even 120g of carbs, I feel tired and unmotivated to workout, but I still push through them. I enjoy cardio and lifting, should I increase my carbs? And somehow that will excite my body to lose that extra 10 lbs I would like off? LOL - help!

I've also tried increasing my protein, but I feel nauseous after drinking protein shakes and it takes a lot of dairy (processed cheese) to get me to reach my daily protein goals. Although that HAS worked up until now! (Giving you guys this extra info in case maybe I've been doing something "wrong" this whole time)

I know everyone goes through a plataeu at some point. How did you overcome it? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I overcame my first plateau by tightening up my logging, weighing everything out I brought for lunch, no more salad bar, etc.

If you don't like going below 120g of carbs, you don't need to.

Why so much dairy for protein? Are you veg?
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    OMAD helped me break through my most recent plateau
  • kadybug97
    kadybug97 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @arditarose I eat a lot of cheese because I do not enjoy meat all that much. If I eat a lot of it, I start feeling nauseous. I try to eat as much as possible, but if I want my body weight in grams of protein, I need 138 g of protein and no matter how hard I try, I cannot get myself to eat that much meat on a daily basis. I can barely reach that goal even with cheese added to the picture. I also have a food scale and weigh literally everything from shredded cheese to blueberries to chicken.
  • kadybug97
    kadybug97 Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @diannethegeek thank you Dianne for your words of wisdom! I appreciate you taking the time to type out all those suggestions :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You don't need that much protein. I am 143 currently and aim for 100g daily and I am doing a heavy lifting program during my weight loss (only 8lbs left) then I'll be transitioning directly into recomposition. I'll probably up my protein then but 100g works just fine for now.
  • Cesnoddon
    Cesnoddon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is a good idea to change your work out routine every 4-8 weeks. Doing the same workout every day can cause a plateau as well
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Veldan wrote: »
    It is a good idea to change your work out routine every 4-8 weeks. Doing the same workout every day can cause a plateau as well

Well there's me gone then.. I do the same exercise every day, 7 days a week.

• peanutchele
    peanutchele Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and get most of my protein through nutritional yeast, Hommous, hemp seeds and tofu. Maybe some options if you're sick of meat ?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Veldan wrote: »

not really. you will burn less calories due to either weight loss or your body becomes adapted to the workouts so you dont have to work as hard,therefore less calories will be burned.but if you are in a deficit you should still lose weight. how you get there is up to you whether its more exercise or less food.
  • al142005
    al142005 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Like capaul42 said, you don't need that much protein. The recommended amount for an average person: 0.8g/kg/day while athletes looking to improve strength or speed: 1.2-1.7 g/kg/day and endurance: 1.2-1.4 g/kg/day. If you eat much more per day or in greater than 25g boluses, your body can't absorb and utilize the protein and it will be stored as fat or excreted in your urine.
    Notice the formulas are per kilogram. Maybe you calculated your original using pounds instead of kilograms. (just take your current weight in pounds and divide it by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms).