Confused about nutrition facts? Was I wrong???

Options
kameo_kid
kameo_kid Posts: 9 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I recently ate John Soules Chicken Fajita strips with rib meat. The nutrition facts state that a serving size is 3oz (85g), each serving is 100 calories, 1 gram of fat, 2 grams of Carbohydrates.

However when I look up non-John Soules grilled chicken meat I am met with a wide variance ranging from 239-3XX calories per 100grams.

What is going on here??? Did I just mistakingly overeat in calories??

Did John Soules lie? Are nutrition facts just lies and marketing?

So confused

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You're just looking up a bunch of generic crap...for stuff like that look up USDA - grilled chicken breast or something or other. A lot of junk in the data base is just some rando's recipe that might also include a bunch of oil or whatever...who knows. Use USDA entries for food stuff like that.

85 grams of grilled chicken breast with nothing else is less than 120 calories. If you're eating something specific like "John Soules" go off of their nutritional info.
  • kameo_kid
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You're just looking up a bunch of generic crap...for stuff like that look up USDA - grilled chicken breast or something or other. A lot of junk in the data base is just some rando's recipe that might also include a bunch of oil or whatever...who knows. Use USDA entries for food stuff like that.

85 grams of grilled chicken breast with nothing else is less than 120 calories. If you're eating something specific like "John Soules" go off of their nutritional info.

I appreciate your timely response. Are companies even held that accountable for their nutrition facts? Does the USDA really make companies adhere to them?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The FDA can force a recall of food with inaccurate labeling. That said, they don't proactively test food, they rely on the manufacturers to calculate or test their own food.

It's also extremely rare for the government to force a recall for inaccurate nutritional labels, although occasionally a company will issue a voluntary recall in such cases.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    kameo_kid wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I appreciate your timely response. Are companies even held that accountable for their nutrition facts? Does the USDA really make companies adhere to them?

In the US they are allowed a margin of error. I have found though that some are over and some are under. We always get caught up on companies under reporting, but I have found just as often that things are over reported. For example, my yogurt I eat always weighs less then what is labeled, in fact it's never been over. I find the same with the bread I eat, and the individual cheeses I like to eat sometimes. Some things are more I weigh it and do the math to calculate how much I actually ate. Keep in mind though that ate the end of the day it's all just our best estimate.
  • kameo_kid
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    The FDA can force a recall of food with inaccurate labeling. That said, they don't proactively test food, they rely on the manufacturers to calculate or test their own food.

All very informative. Now what to think about my calorie intake. Surplus or within my means?