Bananas and constipation?

Options
Seajolly
Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
My mom keeps telling me that bananas cause constipation. I love bananas, but I don't want to eat them too often if they really do constipate you as I have enough problems with constipation already. Is it true?

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I want to know,too.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    When my children were younger the Dr always recommended the B.R.A.T. diet to help cure diarrhea. B.R.A.T. stands for

B - Banana
    R - Rice
    A - Apples
    T - Toast
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    If you are already prone to constipation, yes. My daughter has problems with that, so we can't give her too much cheese or too many bananas. You just have to strike a good balance. Eat lots of fiber and drink lots of water and it should help.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    yep they tell you to expect it with babies...i.e. the BRAT diet.

I eat them and don't have a problem with them. But like a previous poster said if it is something you already have a problem with you might want to back off.
  • AshleighFTM
    AshleighFTM Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When my children were younger the Dr always recommended the B.R.A.T. diet to help cure diarrhea. B.R.A.T. stands for

B - Banana
    R - Rice
    A - Apples
    T - Toast

My son is 9 months and all of the above cause constipation. I would be weary if you already have issues.
  • rg4u
    rg4u Posts: 20
    Options
    It really depends on what stage they're at. When they're not as ripe they actually are not supposed to constipate you. The riper they are the more they're likely to constipate you.
  • iwanna_55
    iwanna_55 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have never had that problem with bananas. I fell that it does the opposite for me and makes me go. Also I read on this site that bananas are suppose to bad for you to eat if your on a diet.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I guess I'll be limiting my banana consumption to 1-2 times a week at most now. :ohwell:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I counteract the potential problem by also eating prunes. :bigsmile:
  • kristalhope
    kristalhope Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, banana skins can be steamed and eaten to relieve constipation.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the are definitely supposed to be binding. They also have some of the highest sugar and lowest fiber amongst fruit. Eat raspberries!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    They can be binding. Usually as long as you don't eat more than one small one per day, you're ok. I also find that eating an apple balances things out because they can have the opposite effect.