working out too much??? (doesnt make a difference?)

Options
Hi there! SO ive recently started this MFP deal, ive already made a few posts about some issues ive been having but I feel really down today as Im coming up on my 3rd week of working out 6 days a week and keeping to 1400 cal a day (for .5 lb a week)...well so far I havent seen any changes and i weigh the same (only trying to lose 10-15 pounds). I feel as though Ive been working really hard and not seeing any changes..is it possible that Im just doing TOO much?

I redid my settings and set it to sedentary (insted of lightly active), work out 3x a week for at least 40 mins (i usually do 40-1 hr at the gym) and my calories are 1300 a day now which still seems fine..

I still plan to walk daily and when i do workout at the gym I might stay longer now and just go 3x a week or so...as I feel like I have been trying so hard to lose too fast and stressing myself out in the process so maybe the 6x a week isnt necassary...

anyways...when you dont have a lot to lose what works best??? Its true that its mostly about diet right so should I focus more on that and less on working out? (even though I still stick the suggested calories anyways)

Ugh im so stressed about all this and frustrated haha. I know 3 weeks isnt that long to see huge changes but it would be nice to see a little bit at least..I FEEL better but I just want to be confident about my body again : /

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You are likely eating more than you realize, or burning fewer calories via exercise than you think.

Do you use a food scale? How do you calculate your exercise burn?
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Here's a handy chart that might help.
    297ed6d1829fbe5bf22e8d97be46a847.jpg
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    If all this exercise is new, you may be retaining water as well. If it's been less than 3 weeks, I would just continue as is and not change things up.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience, but I lost 5lbs in the first 3 weeks doing weight training 3x/week for 45min and Interval running for 20min 3x/week on in between days. Most of that was water weight and the rest of the weight dropped off at about 0.25-.5lbs per week.

I don't think the OP would be retaining that much water in her muscles after 3 weeks, but it's possible. More likely, you are eating more than you think.

As for the amount of exercise, biochemistry articles I have read state that your body begins to produce cortisol after about 45 minutes of intense exercise, so it's best to try to keep under that.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I stopped working out for almost 2 months (new job, bad hours) and just stated up again in like the last week-10 days. When I kicked my diet back into gear, I dropped like 3-4 lbs like THAT. But once I started working out again (like you, 6 days a week) I totally stalled. I'm attributing it to water retention because I've been really sore since Day 1, it's just now getting better. I'm doing like 30 minutes of body weight exercises (plus warm up and cool down) every other day and then 20-30 mins of jogging every other day in between, with one day of rest each week.

I would really evaluate your calories in, make sure you are weighing your foods. Most people's problems stem from underestimating what they are truly eating. Get a scale, weigh, measure, and log everything. If you are eating your exercise calories back, stop. Or at least eat only half back at best. Trackers are notorious for over-estimating the amount of calories you burn. Lots of folks don't even give themselves any calorie credit, they track it and enter "1" just so there's something there and they can view their workout history.

I know I've been great with my diet, and my workouts have been good, so even though my scale hadn't moved (it actually went UP 1 lb!) I'm ok with it. I'll wait a few weeks to see where I settle in. I only went up about 9 lbs from where I kinda want to be, so I'm only 4 or so off that now.

See how your clothes fit, too! That's the best way to measure progress. Scale says "0" but pants are loose=WIN!
  • trinabot19
    trinabot19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yea i have no idea..im very deligent about my calories so I dont think im over eating...I come in just under my calories as I try to stay in that slightly hungry mode so I dont over eat. If I cut out any more calories than what I have already I would probably faint! I am eating healthy too! The unhealthiest thing im my diet right now is my coffee in the morning (im using sugar free creamer but i HAVE to have my coffee..its my treat!) and maybe once or twice a week 1oz of potato chips with a meal (again I be sure to measure correctly etc)...but I still always keep my meals into my calorie range!...Maybe I just need to give my routine more time i spose... I gained 10-15 pounds in the last few years from being lazy and too much going out food (restaurants, fast food...pre-made meals kind of thing) this summer I really wanted to homecook everything and exercise much more. UGH lol
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I second @brian_gunther in making sure you take measurements. I wish I had taken measurements at the beginning. It would have made it much easier to take the weeks where the scale didn't move much or went up. Also, just to give you an idea, it took me about 3 months to lose 10lbs. I lost another 2 as I settled into maintenance the next month.
  • trinabot19
    Options
    I second @brian_gunther in making sure you take measurements. I wish I had taken measurements at the beginning. It would have made it much easier to take the weeks where the scale didn't move much or went up. Also, just to give you an idea, it took me about 3 months to lose 10lbs. I lost another 2 as I settled into maintenance the next month.

Yes I think I will do that today that is a good idea!! I do FEEL better..like on the inside haha. But I just dont think i LOOK different so maybe the measurements will help!
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My sister worked out hard for a month and didn't see any results. She didn't give up and the second month the weight started melting away. Don't quit and don't get discouraged. Just keep working hard and you'll see results. How do you feel after three weeks of working out? I'm sure better than before...
  • trinabot19
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    My sister worked out hard for a month and didn't see any results. She didn't give up and the second month the weight started melting away. Don't quit and don't get discouraged. Just keep working hard and you'll see results. How do you feel after three weeks of working out? I'm sure better than before...

Yes I do feel better/healthier on the inside atleast!! I feel not so bloated and tired like I used to!

Its just pretty discouraging because I feel like ive been soooo good and its not paying off..I dont have much to lose so I thought that it wouldnt be so difficult!
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Measurements are super helpful, because your body may change in that way first. Also, don't disregard muscle tone. For example, after just 3 days of doing a plank challenge I could already see an (albeit small) difference in the visible shape of my stomach, because the muscles were beginning to tighten. It wasn't a lower number on the scale, but it was a step towards lower measuring tape numbers. Good luck!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I go off of body measurements. The scale is just to make sure I'm not gaining any significant amount of weight. In six weeks, I lost an inch from my waist and hips, but my weight hardly changed. As I lift heavy five days a week.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Every time I've increased exercise, the scale is a contrary *kitten* for two or three weeks but cooperates nicely afterward. Since you have so little to lose, any water weight fluctuation may mask your loss, too. So keep doing what you're doing.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    OP, you never actually said if you were weighing out everything...are you or are you just guessing on the portion sizes?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Weight is never a good judge of progression when exercise is involved. Like people have mention, water retention etc all add to fluctuations. Someone mentioned taking measurements, I'd go with that and see if you begin to notice a change.

Also I'll add that, you look mirror daily, gradual changes are not noticeable to our eye, this is why we are the last people to notice any changes in ourselves. You may find next time you see a friend or family member you haven't seen for a while they will make comment, "you look great" "you're looking healthier than the last time I saw you" or similar.

Don't get to down, don't under eat and try and force it. Slow and steady wins the race.

• trinabot19
    Options
    OP, you never actually said if you were weighing out everything...are you or are you just guessing on the portion sizes?

I weigh and measure yes! :)
  • trinabot19
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Weight is never a good judge of progression when exercise is involved. Like people have mention, water retention etc all add to fluctuations. Someone mentioned taking measurements, I'd go with that and see if you begin to notice a change.

Also I'll add that, you look mirror daily, gradual changes are not noticeable to our eye, this is why we are the last people to notice any changes in ourselves. You may find next time you see a friend or family member you haven't seen for a while they will make comment, "you look great" "you're looking healthier than the last time I saw you" or similar.

Don't get to down, don't under eat and try and force it. Slow and steady wins the race.

Thank you! You are so right im sure! I will try not to worry so much about the scale right now. I guess im still trying to figure out my exercise routine too so I we'll see I spose!........ eek
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When you only have a small amount of weight to lose, the progress can be slow. And fluctuations because of water retention, time of the month, etc, can often mask your actual weight loss. (I'll sometimes fluctuate as much as four pounds within a day or two!) I've had weeks where even though I'm diligent about my logging and exercise, the scale won't budge (or it even goes up). But then the next week, the pounds will fall off.

If you know you're measuring everything correctly and staying under your TDEE, then just keep going. You've only been at this for three weeks, and in the grand scheme of things, that's not very long at all. Besides, you say you're feeling better, so you're probably doing something right. Good luck. :)
  • gareths1980
    gareths1980 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, if your new to training you will be gaining muscle but losing fat so your weight won't change too dramatically to start with. Be sure to be drinking 2-4litres of water per day.

Give it another 3weeks and if you've had no change, drop your intake by 100per day. (or if you don't want to take less in, go for a 15min fast paced stroll)
  • rempejeff
    rempejeff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You need to have some rest day In there. Rest is good for you. And change stuff up daily on your workouts.