How much should I raise my calories too?

Options
I'm currently bulking for the first rime, I'm 5'8,137 lbs. I eat 2550 calories a day and strength train 5 days a week for 35-45 mins . a few weeks ago I was 138 lbs, last week 139 lbs and I just weighed myself and I'm 137. I make sure to eat my calorie goal but I'm losing weight. How much should I add to my calories? I'm trying to clean bulk

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    I'm currently bulking for the first rime, I'm 5'8,137 lbs. I eat 2550 calories a day and strength train 5 days a week for 35-45 mins . a few weeks ago I was 138 lbs, last week 139 lbs and I just weighed myself and I'm 137. I make sure to eat my calorie goal but I'm losing weight. How much should I add to my calories? I'm trying to clean bulk

I wouldn't change your calories. This should be looked at over a 4-6 week trend. Not weekly.
  • ulrichj3
    ulrichj3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's likely that you'll burn fat before you start acquiring muscle. I'm on the same boat. I was 130, got up to 134- now this week I'm at 131. You might also want to re-evaluate your workouts. If you're trying to build mass try more weight and less reps during workouts. I'm going to try that out this week, too.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't know how old you are but I am 21 with similar stats to you (same weight/height) and I am not gaining and even possibly losing at ~2700 calories I just added an extra scoop of protein to my post workout (~120) to see if that starts me gaining. Obviously some people are different (I walk about 5 miles a day to and from work and school plus 5 mins of cardio pre workout), but just to give you an idea.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    ulrichj3 wrote: »
    It's likely that you'll burn fat before you start acquiring muscle. I'm on the same boat. I was 130, got up to 134- now this week I'm at 131. You might also want to re-evaluate your workouts. If you're trying to build mass try more weight and less reps during workouts. I'm going to try that out this week, too.

I sure hope so haha. I'm tired of losing weight (odd to say that)

dpr73 wrote: »
    I don't know how old you are but I am 21 with similar stats to you (same weight/height) and I am not gaining and even possibly losing at ~2700 calories I just added an extra scoop of protein to my post workout (~120) to see if that starts me gaining. Obviously some people are different (I walk about 5 miles a day to and from work and school plus 5 mins of cardio pre workout), but just to give you an idea.

I'm 19 and I try to limit my cardio. I'll wait a few more weeks and if I keep losing weight I'll try adding more calories