Any tips and advices for food cravings???

Options
What do you guys do to keep yourself from giving in to over eating or unhealthy foods?? I have been doing great for the past few months but lately have been failing to keep myself from treating myself. Probably because I lost 15 lbs already and I keep "rewarding myself". Other than self discipline, what kind of tips or tricks do you guys use from over eating or giving in to your cravings??

Replies

• Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    mnmchangy wrote: »
    What do you guys do to keep yourself from giving in to over eating or unhealthy foods?? I have been doing great for the past few months but lately have been failing to keep myself from treating myself. Probably because I lost 15 lbs already and I keep "rewarding myself". Other than self discipline, what kind of tips or tricks do you guys use from over eating or giving in to your cravings??

I try to eat high volume low calorie foods throughout the day to prevent cravings. When they do strike, I'll drink water, hot flavored herbal teas, eat a low cal popsicle ( my favorite are Nestle Outshine bars), or distract myself until the craving passes...Pickles are a good way to curb a snack attack--but I crave savory, salty snacks. Hope this helps! You can do this--stay on track one day at a time :)
  • moosekelly
    moosekelly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tend to crave chocolate, so I've found that 45-calorie light hot chocolate mix works well for me. I also drink herbal teas since they come in a variety of sweet, fruity flavours. Other times, I just give in to my craving, as long as it fits within my calorie budget!
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I haven't had many cravings, but when I have I've allowed myself to eat a small portion of the thing and logged it, I've only let myself do this on days when I've logged a good workout as well.

I think it also depends on what craving you're having - is it your TOM? Because if your anything like me I'll eat everything else and nothing will satisfy until I've eaten whatever I've been craving.

Or are you craving the item because you've allowed yourself to have it and now your body wants more? In some cases it's better to not reward yourself with food but work to allow yourself some in your calories - that way your mind and body don't recognize it as a once off treat.

Another method I've found that's helpful is to be active, so when I've reached the peak of craving/ hunger feeling in the day I hit the gym, walk around the neighborhood or something else to get my blood pumping, by the time I'm back I've usually stopped craving that food.
  • charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Look in the mirror and see how far away you are from your perfect body!
  • FELINEj1425
    FELINEj1425 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When I want some ice cream I make it myself: you put a frozen banana in a food proceser and blend and then you have healthy ice cream and you can also add other fruits in it like raspberrys... Its delicious!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I don't believe in unhealthy foods - just unhealthy diets

I make a point to eat a wide range of nutritious foods, hit my minimum protein goals (aim to hit my minimum fat goals but am less good as this) and I always eat within my weekly calories.

So I will eat whatever I fancy - but may take a smaller portion because I have to weigh it, log it and decide whether having it is worth potentially having a smaller number of calories later

I don't believe in 'food rewards' - just food

I didn't, when losing, worry unduly about feeling hungry, just tried to establish whether mouth hunger (eg I fancy this) or true hunger. Use the go for a walk method and if still want it 20 mins later have it. If I'm really out of calories, then I'll have it tomorrow. Undereat across the week so I had leeway (100-150 cals per day gives you an extra 700 - 1050 calories to play with for moments when you must have that glass of wine etc)

If you really can't just eat a little, then eliminate for a short while until you can manage to do so

Hope that helps
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When I want some ice cream I make it myself: you put a frozen banana in a food proceser and blend and then you have healthy ice cream and you can also add other fruits in it like raspberrys... Its delicious!

That's simply not ice cream

A medium banana will be around 100 - 110 calories

On the flip side A Walls Solero (my go to) is 94 Walls_Solero_Exotic_500x50092-908017.png
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat what I am craving in a moderate portion and stay in goal...no reason to give up those foods...this is a lifetime way of eating not a diet...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

not ice cream and yes it has more calories than a lot of other real ice cream you could be eating.

For example a fudge stick...not light or low fat is 100 calories.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I preplan my day, and don't put anything in my face that isn't on that plan.
    Simple, but effective. Not eating is an inaction. It requires precisely no effort, whereas the act of eating requires you to do something. Sloth ftw.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I preplan my day, and don't put anything in my face that isn't on that plan.
    Simple, but effective. Not eating is an inaction. It requires precisely no effort, whereas the act of eating requires you to do something. Sloth ftw.

Brilliant. I too make my lazyness work for me :D

To the OP: I don't really think of foods as "unhealthy" anymore - it's the overeating, of ANY food, that is unhealthy. I don't reward myself with food, but I treat myself, at every meal. I plan meals of food I want that also fill my nutritional needs. I don't buy foods I don't intend to eat. This way, I don't have to rely on willpower more than very rarely, and only a few minutes at a time.
  • ivylyon
    ivylyon Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Option 1: have a small amount of what you crave, log it, adjust your eating/exercise plan for the rest of the day/tomorrow, keep on track.

Option 2: i try on clothes from my wardrobe.i know which items i just fit again, but are still a little tight. Putting them on refocuses me on where i want to get to, and why I'm doing this.

That's what works for me, good luck!
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I try to give in a bit to my cravings, but not for my trigger foods. I make mug cakes or single serving desserts to choose healthier ingredients, or have single portion serving sizes. The act of cooking is usually satisfying in itself for me. I eat a treat most days I feel like one, but only 100-200 calories. So one day I'll make a cinnamon cake, or chocolate, or banana, etc. Variety helps for my cravings too, because I'd rather have a low cal interesting new dessert than something boring.

I also don't buy most desserts to keep in the house. It's too tempting.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you're craving sugar, try sugar free jello. For a whole pack it's only 40 calories (and that's a lot of jello, I made some yesterday and actually felt FULL for the first time in a while). You could also try drinking diet soda when you have sugar cravings but don't want to waste calories. I know both of those things have artificial sweeteners that aren't the best for you but it's just an idea. :smile: If you're craving something salty, maybe pickles? They're only around 5 calories each and I don't know about you but there's only so many pickles I can eat before I never want to look at salt again lol. If none of that works for you, just eat what you want in moderation like everyone said. If you go over your calories, make up for it the next day to fix the weekly average. Or don't, and just move on. Whatever works for you!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Is it a specific food you crave? Otherwise, if you want sweet, try greek yogurt, or salty and hard boiled egg with a dash of salt. Both have the benefit or adding some protein too.