When you don't hit your calorie goal at the end of the day

Options
How or what do you eat to fill the gap? Today I'm short 500 calories.

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    You could save them for tomorrow if you're not hungry.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I usually add a few spoons of peanut butter to bring me up. Or a few handfuls of cashews
    Or save them for the next day
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Or have ice cream
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I haven't been eating all the calories, consistently. I just don't bother saving the days -- but the info is still saved, at least from what I can tell.
  • tjsterch
    tjsterch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, I never come close to my calories any day BUT that is because I had gastric bypass & am supervised for my proteins, vitamins, etc. I don't know if you noticed, when you didn't make your "daily" amount that there was a warning at the bottom about not making the minimum amount. To get around this, I include sunshine 1 cup equals 100 calories. This way I can keep track of my calories the way I need to & make this program work for me.

Once in awhile will not hurt you to not meet your minimum calorie amount. But if it becomes more often, you may want to evaluate your relationship with food. Make sure you are getting enough nutrition to be healthy & exercise for your muscles and bones (never realized how important this was for bone structure until I turned 50!) Also do you include all drinks (coffee, soda, juice, etc.) when you input your intake of calories?

I wish you lots of success, hugs!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm a little under, some days over. As long as my total for the week is good I don't worry about it anymore.
  • moosekelly
    moosekelly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I usually have an extra snack. If I know I'll be eating out the next day, I usually save them to allow a little more wiggle room. If it's just a one off thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Dessert! Plain greek yogurt mixed with Nutella and fresh berries will come in under 500 and is delicious!
  • setharael
    setharael Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate, made with milk. That's ~150 kcal right there - and I find a hot milky drink is great at bedtime!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you want - up to 500 calories worth. It's up to you.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    bacon fat on whole wheat toast
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I look at my weekly goal.

that being said, if i was 500 cals under i would be seriously hungry by the next morning so would probably have some peanut butter or something. i try not to be more than 300 under
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    500cal? First, I would celebrate. Then I would have toast with butter and peanut butter and a glass of milk.

The only reason I wouldn't is if the next day was a birthday party or night out and I wanted to save up for it. However, I always try and follow mfp's advice and eat more than 1200 total. I don't like it when it tells me off.
  • 646michellec
    646michellec Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I always struggle to meet my calorie intake, I have a lot of salad foods for my 2 main meals. I am taking orlistat so I have to watch my fat intake and I try to lower my carbs too. I swim 3 times a week and this allows me another 600 calories which I never use up.
    Any advice would be helpful as I do struggle
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    As long as these are not exercise calories, meaning added calories to your minimum set by MFP because you worked out, then I don't eat them. I usually find the next day I am a little more hungry so I will add 200 or so to that day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I always struggle to meet my calorie intake, I have a lot of salad foods for my 2 main meals. I am taking orlistat so I have to watch my fat intake and I try to lower my carbs too. I swim 3 times a week and this allows me another 600 calories which I never use up.
    Any advice would be helpful as I do struggle

generally you need to pick one macro to reduce (fat, carbs or protein) trying to do two can be far to restrictive, as you're finding out.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Burrito

(But that's just me)
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm like others: if I'm hungry I'll eat something. Some days I'm not very hungry, maybe 1-2 per week I'll be a few hundred calories under recommended. But I will also have days I'm over the calorie recommendation. So when I'm naturally not hungry I don't worry about it as my average across a week or two is what I like to focus on.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Anything you want! Lean pockets are good and 290 calories so you could have one of those and frozen yogurt or something (I love the brand Yasso for frozen yogurt, it's only 100 calories for a bar). Maybe pasta? That's probably what I would do. Or you could save it for tomorrow like other people said :smile: