Low cal side dishes??

Options
catelee03
catelee03 Posts: 19
looking for some really good low cal side dishes. I can never seem to think of what to do when its time for dinner, it's always the same thing like salad or steamed veggies i need some variety!! any suggestions! :D

Replies

• jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    fruit salad! cottage cheese! fresh veggies (tomatoes and cucumbers are my fav)
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You could make a pasta salad. :) Get some whole-grain rotini macaroni, any vegetables you want, some fresh mozzarella cheese, and a low-fat vinagrette. Toss those ingredients together, and you will have a delicious and healthy side dish!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I usually have veggies or a small salad. Cottage cheese is good as well. Every now and then I take kale, saute it with some olive oil, chopped fresh garlic, and chopped onions. I cook it over med heat until the kale is a dark green and on the soft side. It's delicious! I even add it on a wrap with some tuna.
  • BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How about brown rice? Delicious, whole grain. And thankfully Whole Foods sells it pre-cooked in frozen bags...you just need to microwave it for a couple minutes, instead of boiling it for an hour.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    You could make a pasta salad. :) Get some whole-grain rotini macaroni, any vegetables you want, some fresh mozzarella cheese, and a low-fat vinagrette. Toss those ingredients together, and you will have a delicious and healthy side dish!
    bump :bigsmile:
    sounds good
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    How about brown rice? Delicious, whole grain. And thankfully Whole Foods sells it pre-cooked in frozen bags...you just need to microwave it for a couple minutes, instead of boiling it for an hour.
    i tried brown rice for the 1st time and i like it, i looked on line and found this site http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    it said soak the rice in boiling water for half hour before u cook it then cook for 25 mins, so i did n the rice was so good, i did half white and half brown to get used to it but nxt time im gona just have brown. :bigsmile:
  • babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Home-made salsa? I have that sometimes with fish.
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like yellow squash or zuchini (or both) and onion sauted in a little olive oil. The onion carmelizes and its sort of sweet tasting.
    Brocolli salad made with low cal mayo, apple cider vinegar and splenda (or other sweetener) for the dressing.
    Tomatoes-home grown are the best.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Three Bean Salad (or four or five). Good complex carbs. Not heavy, great for the summer.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    How about a fruit pizza but using a graham cracker crust?
  • luvmybentley
    luvmybentley Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Grilled veggies (peppers, zucchini, corn on the cob, asparagus are my faves, just spritz on some olive oil and sea salt and grill until browned a bit)

Wild rice pilaf

Brown rice with carrots and baby peas

Whole wheat pasta and veggies...use more veggies than pasta to cut cals, top with tomato sauce

Oriental veg mix, fresh or frozen, toss with a little thai sweet chili sauce and sesame seeds

Creative salads: pick your greens, add some fruit or berries, sprinkle on some nuts or seeds, top with a light/sweet dressing (My current fave is baby spinach, mandarin orange segments or strawberries, sunflower seeds or slivered almonds and Kraft light creamy poppyseed dressing)

Baked potato, fat free sour cream, a tbsp of bacon bits (bacon makes everything better, Kirkland/costco crumbled bacon is my new best friend...only 35 calories per TBSP!)

Roasted new baby potatoes, don't even have to peel them just cut them in half/quarter, spritz with olive oil, toss in sea salt and any mix of herbs and spices, roast in single layer on a cookie sheet for at least 30 min or until slightly browned and crispy.

Sweet potato fries, crinkle cut, baked in the oven until crispy.

Bell peppers stuffed with quinoa/barley/rice and chopped zucchini/tomatoes.

Rice paper thai veggie wraps with peanut dipping sauce.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted pumpkin and zucchini

Steamed cabbage instead of rice/ pasta

Baked potato with salsa

Zucchini strips instead of noodles/ pasta