Heard of somatotypes? More specific than apple, pear, or hou

Options
I just came across this info today during a bored, random internet browsing.. thought I'd share. It actually motivated me quite a bit, because I found out I'm a mesomorph, which means I am naturally muscular and lose weight and gain muscle easily if i set my mind to it. I never saw it that way, but it's true. I can lose fairly easily if I set my mind to it.. I was just never really been that motivated before now. So here's the info, compiled from tons of websites.. sorry, I dont feel like citing.

Endomorph:

Bodytype04.jpg

Tall
Smooth, round body
Medium/ large joints/ bones
Small shoulders
Short limbs
High levels of body fat (may be overweight)
Body fat tends to settle in lower regions of body, mainly lower abdomen, butt, hips, and thighs (rather than being distributed evenly throughout body)
Pear-shaped physique
Can gain muscle easily, but tends to be underdeveloped
Difficult to keep lost body fat off
Lose weight slowly
Have to work hard to lose weight
Slow metabolic rate
Attacks of tiredness/ fatigue
Fall asleep easily

Mesomorph:

Bodytype01.jpg

Average height
Naturally muscular
Naturally strong
Medium size joints/ bones
Wider at the shoulders than the hips – i.e. chest dominates over abdominal area
Broad/ square shoulders
Female mesomorph: defined hourglass figure/Apple shape if overweight
Male mesomorph: V or rectangular shape
Efficient metabolism
Gaining muscle is almost effortless
Losing fat is almost effortless
Responds quickly to exercise

Ectomorph:

Bodytype03.jpg

Short
Skinny
Small joints/ boned
Long arms and legs
Linear physique – “ruler”
Small shoulders
Lightly muscled
Small chest and buttocks
Low body fat (without exercising or following low calorie diets)
Can eat anything they like without weight gain
Fast and efficient metabolism
Difficulty gaining weight
Hyperactive
Difficulty in gaining muscle mass

Replies

• Rizzo_D
    Rizzo_D Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well that explains my problem lol. Thanks for sharing this I hate always being called a pear.
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    great info for a girl in a coma!!! LMAO:smokin:
  • ditzee
    ditzee Posts: 49
    Options
    Think that says it all!! :bigsmile:
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    i think i am a meso-ekto-endomorph
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've seen this on Tom Venuto's website. I started following his recommendations for the endomorphs because that seemed to describe me best, and I started to have better results.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I learned about this in health class, but even my teacher couldn't figure out which one I was. ]:
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I learned about this in health class, but even my teacher couldn't figure out which one I was. ]:

Try this quiz. It was really accurate for me.

http://www.liverdoctor.com/index.php?page=body-type
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I don't really feel like I fit into any of these categories. Maybe if you combined traits from all three.

This test that was linked to to the comments(http://www.liverdoctor.com/index.php?page=body-type) really didn't help, either. It said I was 56% one result and 44% another. Not very helpful in pinning it down!! I didn't really connect to those either.

I've always been comfortable calling myself an hourglass. I know lots of people do after they lose weight, but for me it reflects my pattern of weight gain. I always gain all over, in a fairly balanced way. My inches will increase in almost exactly similar amounts, but will still reflect hourglass proportions.

Oh well.
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I don't really feel like I fit into any of these categories. Maybe if you combined traits from all three.

This test that was linked to to the comments(http://www.liverdoctor.com/index.php?page=body-type) really didn't help, either. It said I was 56% one result and 44% another. Not very helpful in pinning it down!! I didn't really connect to those either.

I've always been comfortable calling myself an hourglass. I know lots of people do after they lose weight, but for me it reflects my pattern of weight gain. I always gain all over, in a fairly balanced way. My inches will increase in almost exactly similar amounts, but will still reflect hourglass proportions.

Oh well.

Some people don't fit into one type.. yr probably a combination.
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    Sigh.

*Whine time*
    But I don't wanna be an endomorph. *stamps feet, looks cranky*

I wanna be the one that loses weight easily! Ah well, suck it up buttercup.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm a short mesomorph. So I look ridiculous because my body type should be on someone taller than me - even when I'm at a normal weight.