Pre-workout supplements

Options
Hi, I'm currently doing Insanity Max 30, Shaun recommends taking E&E(Energy & Endurance) before the workout. I don't think this is available in the UK so I have been looking at ON Gold standard pre-workout. However, I have seen lots of info on the internet saying that if the pre-workout supplement contains caffeine it is dangerous as it could increase heart rate too much. My heart rate gets to about 175 when doing insanity already. What's confusing though, is that Beachbody E&E has caffeine in? but is recommended for high intensity exercise like insanity? Any advise on this subject out there?

Replies

• silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I prefer stimulant-free preworkouts; I drink enough coffee as it is. Currently using My Protein Impact Pump Blend. It has branch chained amino-acids and creatine, which have been shown to prevent muscle loss due to strenuous exercise. Some say the energy boost from stimulant-free preworkouts is merely placebo effect. If you want a little stimulation but not too much you might as well have a good cup of coffee before exercise ;-)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Everyone reacts differently to the stims in pre-workouts... the only way to know is to try them for yourself. If you're worried about it, start with a half dose and see how you do.
  • Missfitellie2016
    Missfitellie2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.....it can be a bit of a mind field of information out there. I'll give it a go... I don't drink coffee and never have so I might be sensitive to it... we shall see :-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest saving your money......most of these pre-workout supplements are nothing but carbs and caffeine (or other "natural" stimulants). If you're sensitive to caffeine just have a banana and glass of orange juice before working out.
    Ultimately, while most preworkout supplements are probably not dangerous, there's little scientific backing for some of their more overblown claims.

livescience.com/53095-do-preworkout-supplements-work.html
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest saving your money......most of these pre-workout supplements are nothing but carbs and caffeine (or other "natural" stimulants). If you're sensitive to caffeine just have a banana and glass of orange juice before working out.
    Ultimately, while most preworkout supplements are probably not dangerous, there's little scientific backing for some of their more overblown claims.

livescience.com/53095-do-preworkout-supplements-work.html

Depends if your pre-workout is purely a stim product or has other usable ingredients like creatine, citruline malate, beta-alanine, amino acids etc etc

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As always: why, exactly are you looking at a pre-workout? What, exactly do you want it to do for you?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    As always: why, exactly are you looking at a pre-workout? What, exactly do you want it to do for you?

Yes. And you do realize supplements and pre workouts are two separate things, though pre workouts often contain certain supplements.
  • Missfitellie2016
    Missfitellie2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the info, I'm really just looking for a boost of energy to work harder and be more focused. I've tried it a few days in a row now and am taking minimum 'dose'. Went to the local insanity class and definitely did more than usual, but, I've also been eating more so could just be that? It isn't making me jittery though!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the info, I'm really just looking for a boost of energy to work harder and be more focused. I've tried it a few days in a row now and am taking minimum 'dose'. Went to the local insanity class and definitely did more than usual, but, I've also been eating more so could just be that? It isn't making me jittery though!

Nutrition will probably have a greater impact then most of the pre-workouts. But if you are eating more, especially carbs, its why you were able to push harder. More available energy + higher levels of glycogen = better workouts.

Beachbody tends to push a lot of their supplements. I wouldn't get caught up in that. Most supplements aren't going to provide you much if anything at all in terms of an edge.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    everybody reacts diffrent, I've taken a few that made my heart feeli like its going to pop out of my chest, for the last month I've been using beachbody performance energize Pre-workout and the only thing I felt a few times was a little tingling but otherwise no rapid heart rate.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    tiggerlove wrote: »
    everybody reacts diffrent, I've taken a few that made my heart feeli like its going to pop out of my chest, for the last month I've been using beachbody performance energize Pre-workout and the only thing I felt a few times was a little tingling but otherwise no rapid heart rate.

The tingling was probably beta alanine