Direction needed

Options
Help! I can't do this anymore. This being fat and unhappy. I am looking for a direction where I can find a groove and make it work. I'm not looking for a miracle, or maybe I am! I'm specifically looking for something that excites me. On both levels food and fitness. And something that fits into my life. I would just love to hear how other people (who have lost significant weight) have done it and kept it off. It would be really great to hear from someone who has found success with their spouse.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Throw away everything you think you know, every fad, superfood, food to exclude. Everything you've ever read or heard about how to diet.

Focus on calories - just calories

Set a calorie defecit and hit it across the week

Batch cook so you always have food - bulk out on vegetables - find things that fit that you love
    try www.skinnytaste.com for recipes - or google any favourite food and the words 'healthy'

Log everything accurately, double checking every entry

And then move more - go for walks - maybe invest in a pedometer like a basic fitbit or similar

If you find an exercise you love do that too - anything that is progressive resistance will be great - bodyweight or real weights

Log half the calories that MFP suggests for your exercises and eat those too

Build your own diet based on foods that you love so you can stick to it

and just keep going
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do too much at once .... pick an area (or two) and do that consistently until it becomes a habit .... then pick up another thing, etc. For example, for a couple weeks make it a goal to get your water in and log everyday, or get your steps in, or exercise, or meal plan, etc etc etc. If you try to do it all at once, you can burn out easily. Pick a few areas for YOU and then go accordingly.
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    SuedOnim has given you some great advice!! Although I'm not at goal now due to medical problems, I was at goal for many years. I can share with you what worked for me and my husband regarding the food issues. I too was at a loss and at first was making 2 meals, one for me and one for him!! Well, something HAD to change! I took some of HIS favorite recipes and made some changes to make them healthier. If you plug in the original recipe into MFP, it'll tell you how many calories per serving. You can then make some changes until the calories get to a reasonable number for you. Some may still be high but I just fit those in my plan for the day and we didn't have those often. On some, I chose to have half a serving and a big salad and we're both satisfied. I still do this with "regular" recipes as opposed to "diet" recipes because there have been very few he's liked. He also won't eat non-fat or low-fat cheese, he calls these "plastic" cheeses. So I usually decrease the amount in recipes. I use Panko breadcrumbs instead of other breadcrumbs. I'll use egg substitutes or egg whites instead of eggs for some things. Instead of canned cream soups, I make my own with skim milk, broth flour/cornstarch, chicken or sautéed mushrooms or sautéed celery. There are SO many healthier swaps you can make, you can eat ANYTHING your husband eats! My hubby doesn't have a weight problem, in fact he's thin! We eat the same food! I hope this is what you were looking for when you mentioned your spouse. You can always feel free to message me or add me as a friend if you have questions. Good Luck!! You CAN do this!!! You DESERVE to be happy! Keep telling yourself that until you believe it!!!