Potassium- How do you get 3500 mg?

Options
I come nowhere near the amount of potassium they recommend. How important is it? How do you get it? Help if you can!

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Do you have a can of beans in your pantry?
    Go grab it. You will notice that potassium is not listed even though beans are loaded with potassium.
    IF potassium is not listed, how are users supposed to input this information into this database?
    Personally, I track magnesium on my own which I consider 10 times more important.
    Up to 80% of Americans are not getting enough magnesium.
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-and-diagnosis
    You might be getting plenty of potassium and not realize it.
    Even chicken and coffee have a bit of potassium (not on database).
    * When I don't eat beans or greens, I take a magnesium pill at night and I sleep like a baby.
  • witcherkar
    witcherkar Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I tried once to counteract sodium intake. Had to add 3 bananas for the day. Super high calories after that. I just take a potassium pill
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Coconut water is the answer. 1 cup of it has 600 mg of potassium.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Greek Yogurt and low sodium V8 are other excellent choices. Potatoes.
    USDA (https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods) is a great place to find much more complete nutrient data in foods.

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    The small cans of Low Sodium V8 have 700 gms of potassium for 30 calories. Potatoes are loaded with it, too.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons low sodium V8 is so rich in potassium is that in addition to the naturally occurring potassium in the vegetables it contains, it uses potassium chloride as a substitute for sodium chloride for flavor. When I lived in Arizona and was biking to work every day, I had a potassium deficiency. The doctor prescribed a supplement, but it was not enough. I ended up getting some "No Salt" salt substitute and adding it to everything I ate and half the things I drank.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    There is this one lady and lad online who recommend a 21 bananas a day ;) you can always follow that "diet" if you like :) haha

oh hush your mouth with that nonsence hahah!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You're probably getting enough potassium because it's not required to be listed on nutrition info.

PP mentioned taking a potassium pill. Don't do that without talking to your doctor first.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. It's open and I get over 3500 on potassium most days.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    edited June 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    You're probably getting enough potassium because it's not required to be listed on nutrition info.

PP mentioned taking a potassium pill. Don't do that without talking to your doctor first.

Not listing potassium does not automatically mean that everybody is getting enough. There is a lot that they don't list... but regardless, it is required now in the new guidelines.
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm

ETA: "7. Why are vitamin D and potassium being added to the Nutrition Facts label?

Vitamin D and potassium are nutrients Americans don’t always get enough of, according to nationwide food consumption surveys (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/), and when lacking, are associated with increased risk of chronic disease. "
  • kimberlyrkrebs
    kimberlyrkrebs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input. I definitely think that potassium has been overlooked.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    We eat lots of fruit and leaf greens like Swiss chard.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Even plain old coffee has potassium
  • Spontaneously
    Spontaneously Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Not listing potassium does not automatically mean that everybody is getting enough. There is a lot that they don't list... but regardless, it is required now in the new guidelines.
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm

Who in America is getting 13% of their daily calories from added sugars? Love the labeling change for sugar, but this "fact" sounds conservatively distorted, imo.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those of you who gave some advice on these. My potassium intake is always low, and coupled with the ectopics I can feel wiggling my heart around, I'm getting my doctor to check my K+ next week when I go in. I'd rather get it from while food sources than pills, but I still need to get it checked.

I really need to find some of that no salt salt stuff too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that many foods don't include potassium info on the label, so you're likely getting more than you think.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Coffee!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    avocados, potatoes, bananas....it's ridiculous how much is the RDA...I ate like a whole avocado, 2 small potatoes and banana and a half one day and didn't meet it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    French's No Salt Salt Substitute. It tastes like salt but is only potassium. 1/4 tea spoon is 650 mg of potassium or 19% of what you need a day (1 tsp = 2600 mg). It's a great substitute. You will probably need to use a substitute if you don't eat a ton of the right vegetables and fruits (which is hard even if that's all you eat).

Edited - check with your doctor, potassium is great but it is bad for you with certain medical conditions.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @cee134 If my store does not carry French's, do you think other salt substitute brands would? I think my store has Mrs. Dash.
    What do I look for in the ingredients in a salt substitute? Will it say potassium?
    Do these salt substitutes even have an ingredient list on their little tiny bottles?
    I would love to add potassium instead of salt to my foods - a change I would make for life today.