Frustrated

Options
Hey everyone...need some guidance here.
I have been overweight most of my life, although I have also been very active as an athlete. When I was 30, I was in the best shape of my life, being 5'6" and weighing 137. Now, 9 years later, I weigh 180.6. I just quit smoking 6 weeks ago, after doing that for 20 years. And since 7 weeks ago, I decided to get my butt in gear and get back in shape. I have been doing a run/walk interval daily for 4.5 miles. I have been either biking 10-18 miles a day or hiking another 3-5 miles on top of my daily interval run. I have been strength training 2x per week. Sometimes I walk another 5 miles. (I work in a school and have summer off, giving me much time on my hands.) I have been logging my calories and rarely go over the amount I should be having. I HAVE BEEN GAINING WEIGHT...IN 7 WEEKS, I HAVE GAINED 4LBS. Anyone else who is doing what I am doing would have lost 20lbs. by now. I am gaining weight. Best part is - I am a vegan. Probably the heaviest vegan alive...and I rarely eat pasta or bread. I am not giving up yet. But I am starting to want to. I have an appointment with my doctor next week to see if maybe I have a thyroid issue...but I have been tested for that numerous times in my life and it has always been negative. I just am feeling discouraged and wondered if anyone has ever had something like this happen to them.

Replies

• tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat? Are you eating back all your excercise calories? Are you eating at a deficit?
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Reassess the accuracy of your food logging to be as sure as possible that you're creating a caloric deficit (which needs to be significant if you want ostensible results relatively fast). We all have slipped there. While water weight can definitely mask fat-loss, not losing generally means we are not creating a caloric deficit. Best of luck!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you've also added a lot of exercise. That 4lbs is most likely mostly water retention due to that.
  • christinaahs2002
    christinaahs2002 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, have you looked up the HCLF (high carb low fat) vegan way of eating? I know it sounds scary...alot of carbs but its healthy carbs that you should be eating. Stay away from any processed oils and eat fat in its natural state like that found in avocados, coconut, seeds and nuts. Me and my husband just started doing this and I'm feeling/looking so much better. I found out about on youtube just do a search on HCLF Vegan...also I recommend you watch Nutritionfacts.org on youtube with Dr. Michael Greger, he's very informative about any vegan questions you might have. Good luck...dont give up
  • Jlo121804
    Jlo121804 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing too much in one day and perhaps you need to rest just a bit more. Try doing HIIT training for 20 minutes a day three days a week.

As far as the thyroid, I just got mine tested and found although my levels were normal (meaning not hypothyroid or hyperthyroid) I do have a module that I have to get taken out in August 19th...bleh!! Def get it tested though AND get your vitamin B, magnesium, and vitamin D checked as well! I hope that helped :smile:
  • sj1sunshine
    sj1sunshine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your input. I really thought I was measuring everything accurately...I will be even more meticulous moving forward. I don't eat any processed foods. I even gave up drinking coffee, because I put too much sugar in it. (I thought I would have lost weight just from ditching that habit.) I rarely reach my allotted grams of sugar each day. I do think I am lacking in protein. I typically have a protein shake, salad, homemade vegetable soup of some sort, fruit, spinach, and if I crave something sweet, I usually have a fruit bar from Trader Joe's that is low in calories and sugar. I try not to stay from what I eat, as I find I do better when I don't have too much variety. Occasionally, I will make a quinoa or brown rice dish, but not often. Infrequently, I will also have a fiber cereal that has barely any sugar in it. I even went so far as eating eggs from a friend's hens, just because I thought I needed more protein (something that is hard for me to swallow as a vegan).

Let me ask you this - if MyFitnessPal tells me to eat 1200 calories a day, and I exercise and burn 500 calories, so it tells me I can eat 1700 calories that day, I really shouldn't eat 1700 calories, right? If I want to lose weight, I should maybe stick to the 1200 calories? Maybe I was eating too close to the total number with the additional calories from exercise.

I will reread your responses and look into anything that was suggested, including the HCLF Vegan way of eating. Thank you again!
  • BrakemanSlova
    BrakemanSlova Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    What are you eating? I'm in a very small minority of people on this site that think it's more than just calories in, calories out. Where those calories come from also matter. A ton of people will disagree with me, but it's my opinion. I'm no scientist, doctor, nutritionist, etc. I have tried for many years to lose weight on caloric deficit and exercise. I had no success until I gave up sugar and grains. Now it's melting off...2-3 pounds a week. My experience is anecdotal and maybe isolated to me, but it has me convinced there's more to it than just CICO (which I know is important).
    I agree. I lose weight when my carbs are lower and I also don't get as many cravings when I'm a fat burner.
  • Jlo121804
    Options
    It honestly sounds like you're not eating the right combo of foods. I was stuck for so long and then I started high fat low carb and input 1500 calories in MFP and that is exactly what I eat give or take a few more or less. I used to compete years ago and was on a very high protein diet, but now that that's over with, I have had terrific success with high fat low carb, because ideally when your carbs are low, your healthy fats should be increased this making you less hungry! I lose at least 2-3 pounds a week AND also incorporate a treat meal 1x a week. Best thing I did and now my hormones are no longer off, I'm sleeping like a baby and have tons of energy
  • Jlo121804
    Options
    I agree BrakemanSlova! Fat is a great ingredient in speeding up fat loss, I'm 44 and losing weight without an issue and have been able to sculpt a lean physique as well!
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You say you are measuring, but how? Are you using a food scale?
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You need to tighten up the logging.

While you are most definitely retaining water from increased exercise, you are likely eating too many calories. Experiment with how many exercise calories you eat back -- 25% to 50% and see if there is a change.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this - if MyFitnessPal tells me to eat 1200 calories a day, and I exercise and burn 500 calories, so it tells me I can eat 1700 calories that day, I really shouldn't eat 1700 calories, right? If I want to lose weight, I should maybe stick to the 1200 calories? Maybe I was eating too close to the total number with the additional calories from exercise.

Try eating only 25-50% of your exercise calories for a few weeks and see what happens. The calories MFP gives for exercise is an estimate, and it's entirely possible that you're not actually burnun as many calories as it says you are...personally I aim to never eat more than half of my exercise calories.
  • Jlo121804
    Options
    Thank you for all of your input. I really thought I was measuring everything accurately...I will be even more meticulous moving forward. I don't eat any processed foods. I even gave up drinking coffee, because I put too much sugar in it. (I thought I would have lost weight just from ditching that habit.) I rarely reach my allotted grams of sugar each day. I do think I am lacking in protein. I typically have a protein shake, salad, homemade vegetable soup of some sort, fruit, spinach, and if I crave something sweet, I usually have a fruit bar from Trader Joe's that is low in calories and sugar. I try not to stay from what I eat, as I find I do better when I don't have too much variety. Occasionally, I will make a quinoa or brown rice dish, but not often. Infrequently, I will also have a fiber cereal that has barely any sugar in it. I even went so far as eating eggs from a friend's hens, just because I thought I needed more protein (something that is hard for me to swallow as a vegan).

I will reread your responses and look into anything that was suggested, including the HCLF Vegan way of eating. Thank you again!

I forgot to ask you, what exercises are you doing and how many days a week?
  • sj1sunshine
    Options
    I do 4.5 miles every day of run/walk intervals. Then I usually walk another 5 miles throughout the day. I also bike 10-18 miles 1-2x per week. I recently started strength training 2x per week. I swim laps and do water type aerobics when I can, usually 1-2x per week also.
  • sj1sunshine
    Options
    And I started this exercise the week before I quit smoking, after doing NOTHING for exercise...so I thought that by doing all this exercise and also being mindful of the calories I was putting in my mouth, I would lose weight. Eight weeks ago, I didn't exercise and I ate WAY more than I do now...
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You need about 50 grams of protein a day. You should have no problem getting that if you eat a healthy vegan diet. But eating a healthy diet won't make you lose weight, vegan or not. As others have said, you have to be in a calorie deficient. One poster mentioned that it's more than CICO. This is not true, exactly. What is true is that the numbers don't add up for everyone. Your rate of metabolism affects everything about your weight loss. Do you have a history of yo-yo dieting? If you do, it can have long-lasting effects on how your body burns calories.

As for MFP giving you 1,200 calories, this means you've set your loss at 2 lbs. per week. I cannot tell you how often I read these posts where women are trying to lose eating 1,200 and just aren't losing. Is this because they are eating more than they think, or is it possible to eat too little? Who knows for sure? But I do know that if you don't eat enough you are less likely to stick to an eating plan. You are already frustrated. I would be, too. I've lost 89 lbs and I've never eaten less than 1,600 calories a day.

The experts, most of the studies, the films, the commentary, the testimonials--all these point to one simple thing--weight loss should be SLOW, steady. A new food plan should not be a "diet." It should be a sustainable way of eating that you can maintain FOREVER. If you lose quickly, you are more likely to gain the weight back. If you deprive yourself of foods you love, you are more likely to break down and eat those foods and gain weight. If you get into a habit of yo-yo dieting you can mess up your metabolism and it may not bounce back when you've lost the weight and you will be more likely to gain the weight back. If you don't make real, sustainable lifestyle changes, you will likely gain the weight back.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Buy and use a food scale. When I did that, I finally found success.

wqu0qwkok78p.jpg