Raw Diet?

Options
JatieKo621
JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
Has anyone ever tried this? I heard its a good way to detox your body and change your eating habits. I tried it once and made it 4 days then gave up. My friend did it for 21 days and said it really helped him get over a plateau and also he despises processed foods now. I am trying to eat more raw, natural things but eating only raw foods for 21 days seems very extreme. Could there really be that many health benefits or is it dangerous? Also- since I am doing the INSANITY workout would that just not give me enough energy to get through the workouts? I am wondering about trying it but want to have more knowledge before jumping into something like that. All I know is that you cannot cook anything, you cannot have anything processed, and no animal products. Therefore its basically only raw fruits, veggies, and nuts. Most spices are even ruled out because they are cooked first.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Ichbinceiling
    Options
    I did it for 7days to clean my system. It wasn't all that easy. On day 6, my tongue was raw from all the acids in the fruits and veggies. I'd say that was the worst part, even water hurt my tongue. But after 7 days, I did detox and going back to normal food, after, was very difficult. Everything I ate felt like I had rocks in my stomach. I'd definately do it again. But its tough work!
  • ashleydubose1
    Options
    A close friend of mine eats this way all the time. She has made a lifestyle of it and she runs 4 miles a day and can't stand to eat processed foods. It's extremely healthy, since raw foods contain live enzymes. Cooking veggies reduces their vitamin content as well. There are big benefits to eating raw.
  • EyeCanSeeYou
    Options
    http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=154.0

But are you talking about eating raw meat too?
  • celestedavis
    celestedavis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I coach people through a 28 day detox, try 7 days completely raw and then if you need to add 25% of your food cooked. Or you could do a 5 day raw and 2 day cooked, also juicing really helps to get a large portion of raw fruits and veggies (do mostly veggies) and is extremely healing and cleansing. If your work out seems to up your calorie/protein needs, try a raw protein such as Garden of Life Raw protein powder or a hemp protein.
  • HSmamato4
    HSmamato4 Posts: 70
    Options
    I agree with the PP-I wouldn't necessarily say bad for you, but it is extreme and VERY hard to do. I would do my research and see if you can do it. You don't have to do a full 21 day if you don't want to-even a 7 day regimen can really help clean out your system. I am going to do a detox after I am done nursing my son. Don't forget to keep yourself really hydrated. Juices and smoothies are a great way to add calories/boost your energy.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    From what I understand about eating raw is that you must chew your food or the nutrients will be lost to you. Cooking the food (steaming, boiling, cooking) creates a 30% loss of nutrients, but that's still better than nothing.

I think a mixture of raw and cooked is great as long as your purpose is in mind--get proper nutrition! As for exercise, I would eat high protein, high energy foods such as beans and starchy foods like a potato (not french fries, nor the fast food baked potato from Wendy's or similar).

I know that is contrary to what you might want but please consider your goal--nutrition and see which way you can "stomach" it.
  • EyeCanSeeYou
    Options
    I know of people who have been fruitarians for years.
  • mickie_on_my_way
    mickie_on_my_way Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have dabbled with raw foods on and off for years. My body is happiest at "high raw." I tried a 100% month once and it was not a good experience for me.

I have just "returned" to raw foods, choosing a balanced, stress-free plan that incorporates both raw and cooked foods. I also use recipes that are easy and don't take a lot of effort. Some of my favorite "gurus" are Jennifer Cornbleet (www.learnrawfood.com) and Karen Knowler (www.therawfoodcoach.com).

Good luck!
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I want to know as much as I can before diving headfirst into this like I did before (and ended up getting very frustrated).

eyecanseeyou- No from what I read I would not eat any animal products-mean, cheese, dairy, anything. I am not a vegetarian so yes this will be tough but I want to try a cleaner, simple way of eating to see what kind of results I get and how I feel while doing it.

I think my biggest problem would be not getting bored with it? Plus not eating enough calories (since im burning around 800 a day) and I don't want to go into starvation mode.