Period weight doesn't go away?

Options
Recently I've noticed that my period/mid-cycle weight gain doesn't go away. I'm almost sure it's water weight since I pee less than usual around those times but then the gain stays. As a result I gain about a pound or two every month, with like 3-4 weeks of stable weight then a sudden spike. I've been recovering from anorexia and am now trying to maintain at a bmi around 20. Does anyone know what might be causing this??

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eating too much, probably.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Period munchies?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't go away, it's likely from eating too much. You do say you're recovering from an ED so it might be your body just keeping the weight on for healing.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you gaining every month? So more and more each period? Or does it go again?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you are gaining weight over a period of 6 to 8 weeks you are most probably eating in surplus

That is probably not a bad thing based on your history as it sounds like your body is trying to find an equilibrium

• whatever_46
    whatever_46 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I personally suffer from an ED myself. I've "recovered" and relapsed probably a dozen times over from both bulimia and anorexia. You WILL have a weight gain spike for awhile until you reach a healthier weight, or if you're like me when I "recover", you could be eating more than you are supposed to just because it feels so good to finally eat again. But don't let the weight gain discourage you (I know easier said than done) it's better for you in the long run. With bulimia I got to a point where I have all kinds of GI issues and mouth issues. I need multiple root canals currently and that's years after stopping. I can't say much for anorexia since I still deal with relapses sometimes, but I do know it not healthy. Please, get better!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I found my monthly lack of control to be a huge block for me mentally especially with water weight so I chose a type of birth control where I no longer have periods. No monthly cravings or hormonal swings and helped my iron and ferritin levels as well.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I found my monthly lack of control to be a huge block for me mentally especially with water weight so I chose a type of birth control where I no longer have periods. No monthly cravings or hormonal swings and helped my iron and ferritin levels as well.

What kind of birth control do you use and would you say it prevents bloating/weight gain associated with menstruation? I'm on and off with an ED as well and I find that period gain is one of the most triggering factors. I can gain as much as 8 lbs before and during my period and it friggin' sucks. I've not considered birth control before because I'm wary of taking medications I don't "need", but maybe I should give it a shot.
  • whatever_46
    whatever_46 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

What kind of birth control do you use and would you say it prevents bloating/weight gain associated with menstruation? I'm on and off with an ED as well and I find that period gain is one of the most triggering factors. I can gain as much as 8 lbs before and during my period and it friggin' sucks. I've not considered birth control before because I'm wary of taking medications I don't "need", but maybe I should give it a shot.

Birth control can be a really good way to prevent gain due to hormonal cravings. I was on one birth control that worked really well for me and I didn't get periods. I would have to go way back in my history or call my doctor to get the name seeing as I am almost 9 months pregnant now (I had switched BC and wasn't taking it right so don't worry. Haha!) But the one I was on that kept me from having periods also never gave me the weight gain like some of the others did and bonus...it helps with acne! I would just find what's right for you. I do recommend the pill or something removable though seeing as every BC works different for each woman and while one may prevent weight gain for one woman it will do the opposite for another. Just be aware and talk with your doctor to find what's best for your specific need...and I promise they won't judge you if you tell them you want one that won't cause weight gain. They hear it all the time.
  • hekla90
    edited July 2016
    Options

Well I also definitely need it but at the time I started it was primarily for iron levels. I used the nuvaring and just skipped the ring free week and last year I had a nexplanon put it. I didn't have any spotting or side effects from the nexplanon except my arm was bruised for a month and since I'm thin it's pretty visible and people occasional ask about it. But your mileage will vary. I think when I looked into switching the nexplanon and nuvaring were the same hormone or same type so I was pretty sure I would be okay with the implant. So if that's the case you might try the nuvaring first before since if the nexplanon didn't work it would be a pain to get removed. I was on nuvaring for a long time but when I started I did have some mild cramps for the first couple weeks- I don't remember any water retention issues though. But also maybe why the transition to nexplanon was seamless my body was already used to the hormones. Annnnyways, it made a huge difference for me not having the weight swings and my mood is much more consistent which helped.

Edit: also since I don't have a period I don't get monthly water weight. Maybe the first couple weeks when I started nuvaring but I don't remember it being an issue.
  • hekla90
    Options

Birth control can be a really good way to prevent gain due to hormonal cravings. I was on one birth control that worked really well for me and I didn't get periods. I would have to go way back in my history or call my doctor to get the name seeing as I am almost 9 months pregnant now (I had switched BC and wasn't taking it right so don't worry. Haha!) But the one I was on that kept me from having periods also never gave me the weight gain like some of the others did and bonus...it helps with acne! I would just find what's right for you. I do recommend the pill or something removable though seeing as every BC works different for each woman and while one may prevent weight gain for one woman it will do the opposite for another. Just be aware and talk with your doctor to find what's best for your specific need...and I promise they won't judge you if you tell them you want one that won't cause weight gain. They hear it all the time.

Outside of water weight they won't cause weight gain alone. That's usually due to the hormones causing an increase in appetite.