Keeping balance while lunging

Options
jbee27
jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
I have a lot of trouble with lunges, I always feel like my balance is not quite right. Is there anything that would help with my balance, other than continuing to strengthen with lunges?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Do you engage your core? If you don't, I suggest you start as it will help with the balance. Also taking a wider stance will help, as you progress and improve your balance you can shorten the stance.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Tighten core, and bring your feet together between the lunges. It helps steady you in the long run.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Engaging the core is good advice. Also, you may be trying to go too fast. Slow down and focus on your form and balance. This actually makes for more effective results as well. If you are still having issues, try holding the back of a chair for balance. Are you using weights?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hold onto a chair or table as a start. Then work to hold onto it less and eventually not at all.

Also, you might want to try split squats at first. Not Bulgarian splits squats (back foot elevated.) Just regular split squats. Do them without dumbbells. Taking the lunge motion out allows you to focus on the balance needed going down and back up. Once you've mastered that, add back in the lunge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHa6aCpFndo
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Rear step lunges should allow you to have better balance. Keep working both to improve.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Do you less balance issues with walking lunges by chance? I am not sure which lunges you are trying to do, alternating, reverse, walking, step ups? Or have you tried with or without holding a weight?

Some days you are just off in general, and it helps to totally focus on core, your stance in and out of the lunge.. It does take some concentration as these are not effortless to do.
  • jbee27
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like I might need a bit of everything suggested.

I've always struggled with lunges, and I started going to Bodypump classes once a week last month, and the lunge track always has me struggling with balance and doing the moves.

I'm going to go weightless, slow down, and really focus on engaging my core. Hopefully with all of that, they will get better. :-)

• jbee27
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hold onto a chair or table as a start. Then work to hold onto it less and eventually not at all.

Also, you might want to try split squats at first. Not Bulgarian splits squats (back foot elevated.) Just regular split squats. Do them without dumbbells. Taking the lunge motion out allows you to focus on the balance needed going down and back up. Once you've mastered that, add back in the lunge.

I think this is actually the more accurate name for the move they have you do in Body pump classes. Sorry, should have been more specific. I teeter all over the place, and I feel like I'm never getting very far down. also trying to focus on making sure I'm not tipping forward (I know that knee past ankle is bad).
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I struggled FOREVER with balance on lunges and eventually decided it wasn't worth it. Now I do squats and weighted step-ups instead. Do you have to do lunges?
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    In which manner do you do them? Do you do stationary or walking?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jbee27 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I think this is actually the more accurate name for the move they have you do in Body pump classes. Sorry, should have been more specific. I teeter all over the place, and I feel like I'm never getting very far down. also trying to focus on making sure I'm not tipping forward (I know that knee past ankle is bad).

I would say just slow down. I've never gone to Bodypump but is the idea that you're doing this to a certain beat? I'd say ignore that and go at your own pace. People tend to try to do a movement faster when their balance is bad because it means getting it over with quicker. The better thing is to slow down and be deliberate. I do split squats like the above on one of my leg days. I always have to start with a set with no weight just to kind of get in the groove of doing them. I'm not at the point yet where they feel really natural. (Not sure if that makes you feel any better but I thought I'd mention it :) )
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You might also be over striding on lunges, which is a common mistake. When you plant the front foot, keep the shoulders and torso over the hips and concentrate on dropping straight down vs moving forward.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you're doing stationary lunges, make sure your feet stay at approximately hip width. Some people step back and put one foot directly behind the other, which is unstable. If you imagine a line on the floor directly beneath you, you'd want one foot on either side of the line (as they would be if you were standing with your feet at hip width), NOT with both feet on the line.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    But isn't developing balance one of the major purposes of doing lunges??
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I have balance issues (inner ear problems) so yes, slowing down, lighter weights and practice helps. I've gotten much better than when I first started, but I still have to focus and sometimes still lose my balance on alternating leg lunges, mainly stepping backwards. But, I just use lighter weights and focus on my form in the mirror.
  • jbee27
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    But isn't developing balance one of the major purposes of doing lunges??

Hence the part of my original post that said "Is there anything that would help with my balance, other than continuing to strengthen with lunges?"

I was looking for other thoughts on what I might do to increase my effectiveness in getting stronger. The other posters were very helpful. Thanks for the snark though.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I find single leg deadlifts to be helpful for balance. A different movement entirely, but you just asked about balance. This is a nice progression for learning the movement since you may not be able to do the final version right off the bat (I couldn't).
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    I find single leg deadlifts to be helpful for balance. A different movement entirely, but you just asked about balance. This is a nice progression for learning the movement since you may not be able to do the final version right off the bat (I couldn't).

This is helpful, thank you! I have to hold on to something to do single leg deadlifts, which is frustrating. Never thought of doing them using the progression you posted. I'll give this a tryl
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It was an idea that made all the difference in the world for me with a bit of patience.