Best Food for Bad Sinus Problems

Options
I've been suffering with blocked/inflamed sinuses for years, and am currently in the middle of a bout of sinusitis. I'm a great believer in the healing powers of foods (not as a replacement for standard medicines, but as a complimentary treatment). Anyone have any recommendations?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sririacha and wasabi to drain 'em, avoid dairy to stop refilling them...
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Spicy foods can temporarily open up the sinuses and encourage drainage. Where I live, hot green chile is commonly used when people are sick/stuffed up for just this purpose.

Having said that, have you seen a doctor about this issue? As a chronic sufferer of sinus problems myself, I recommend you talk with someone about understanding the root of your problem and treating that rather than just the symptoms.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ginger to help open them up.

I'm more a proponent of herbal teas as treatment than food, but that's probably because I'm not much of a cook.

Anything with enough spice and heat that you feel it in you nose when you smell it can be used to help unstop your sinuses. Remember to finish your antibiotics even if you are feeling better!

(For me it was strept throat every two months for 6 years until it randomly stopped. Recurrent infections are the pits.)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Non-popular answer.
    It took me months to realize it, but when I started supplementing with vitamin C with bioflavoinoids in it, my allergies were almost gone. Fact or fiction - I don't care - It worked.
    I found this site that says this could help.
    http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/3-supplements-allergies
    *And I blamed my cats all those years.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I like horseradish for temporary relief. (you don't snort it. You eat it )
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Cut out dairy completely and see if that helps. Also improve your overall health by looking for foods that heal the gut (including taking a really strong probiotic - such as BioKult, which you can buy on Amazon).
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Try stopping dairy. Helped me to cut it out and have very little of it. Makes the mucus thick so it causes issues.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    When I have a bout of sinus issue I go eat the hottest vindaloo dish I can stand.
  • rph2t
    rph2t Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I drink a huge amount of fluids, and avoid dairy, as said before. One thing that always helps me is working out. It warms things up and lets things run out, which is so gross but also so good. Then, when I'm out of the shower, I just blow it all out and usually feel better for at least a little while.

Running, even though it puts me outside more, seems to keep my sinus issues from flaring up, because it warms me up, jolts all the gunk out, and then everything sort of runs out in the shower after. So gross. So much relief.

I'm not sure I agree entirely with the spicy foods thing. I've tried it, and it does help for a bit, but it doesn't really produce any long term results. The most effective thing has been plenty of fluids, and lots of vitamin C. Hot tea is a big part of my life, so I guzzle green tea and it seems to help. I also have some ginger honey tea I got at my local Asian market, and that's nice as well.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Along with spicy foods, onions work for me. Non-food methods that might help are going outside (I get a runny nose just being outside), a hot shower or hot cloth on your sinuses, and go up/down stairs (elevation changes help me).
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    No food suggestions, but have you tried a Neti pot or saline sinus rinse product? My mom swears by them for her chronic sinusitis.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Another neti-pot fan.
  • kixrsty
    kixrsty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've heard garlic is supposed to help clear sinuses.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The best thing I know to do is to drink a LOT of water. For me, it clears faster if I do that.
  • TheElectricLaura
    TheElectricLaura Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses
  • TheElectricLaura
    TheElectricLaura Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Argh I wrote a really long reply and it only posted the first bit! Will try again later!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I live and die by my Neti Pot - it rocks! Every day, at least once a day. AND - if you don't have one already, a good Allergist and/or ENT to see exactly what your issues are.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    A friend suffered for years with constant sinus problems. She found out that the problem was mold; she was living in a condo that flooded several times while she was there. After she moved, her sinuses only bothered her when she had a respiratory infection.