Going over your allowance

Options
Hiya! Before I disappear to watch the Wales game can I ask what you guys do if you go over your daily calorie allowance (ie for nights out/celebrations). Do you cut your calories back over the upcoming days or so you write it off and move on? x

Replies

• efoy89
    efoy89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Both & work harder the next day or so... I look at my stats on a 7 day cycle, i figure if im 50 over today and 50 under tomorrow they balance out

If i know ive been really naughty - night out with drinks & cake etc - I do tend to try fit in a hard day training soon after so i work off the extra cals in and then some....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I get in extra exercise and eat lightly BEFORE the event.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is long term. Look at your weekly average as opposed to trying to make up 600 calories in one day. Personally I set my daily allowance lower knowing that I'm gonna go over on weekends
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Go Wales!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    If I know something is coming up I will eat a little under that week so I can have some extra calories. I might also try to get in an extra walk or some other type of exercise that day. If something unexpected comes up then I just log it and move on. As long as going over is an occasional thing not a daily thing then it isn't really a problem.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I just move on. But I try to figure out what I could have done differently to prevent it from happening again.
  • nop2008
    nop2008 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I just start over the next day. When you get into restricting tomorrow because you splurged today can lead to serious issues with diet and food. Just don't go there. It's a slippery slope.

That's a good point thank you x
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I never go over. Anything I eat I make sure it's within my calorie allowance.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I just start over the next day. When you get into restricting tomorrow because you splurged today can lead to serious issues with diet and food. Just don't go there. It's a slippery slope.

Pretty much this - if I'm still under (or close to) my maintenance calories after the splurge, I don't worry about it at all. If it puts me well over, then I might think about what different choices I could make if a similar situation comes up in future. If it's not happening regularly then it's not a problem for me.

But there are days like birthdays or other celebrations when I know I'm going to be waaay over and I don't worry. I eat what I want and enjoy the time with my family, and get back on track the day after. You have to enjoy life, after all! :)