Body fat % estimate and bulk or cut

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm deciding on my goals at the moment as to whether to bulk or cut. As such, I want a rough idea of where I'm at right now to help prioritize either fat loss or muscle gain. Currently running a 5x5 program.

wgzbam5n4rdo.jpg

6bom8k6v5kcm.jpg

r7av4h715l1r.jpg

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I suggest a cut or recomp. Definitely not a bulk yet, unless you are happy with how you currently look. It's difficult for a stranger to tell you what you want.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would continue lifting and cutting for a few more pounds, establish maintenance and hold it for a couple of months then clean bulk. Maintenance TDEE plus 250.

Cheers, h.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cut
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Agreed with those above. My body is at a similar place as your right now. I have been recomping for a while and initially noticed some muscle gains/fat loss but that has been stalled out for a long time. So I am back to cutting 5-10 more lbs, then recomp for a while, then bulk.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm deciding on my goals at the moment as to whether to bulk or cut.

I wouldn't really describe bulk/cut as a goal - more a tool or process to get you to your goal.

So what are your long or short term goals in terms of strength/fitness/body composition?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP, what is the goal? Where do you see yourself body composition wise? That is something we cannot answer for you based on the pictures you posted..

So ask your self is your current body (weight, strength, fitness) and mindset ready to do a bulk or do you see yourself a leaner, before putting on weight?
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Kinda hard to just tell someone want to do. Are you happy with weight/size right now ? If you want to get smaller/tighter etc then cut if you don't want to lose the pounds and just be tighter look into recomp, cuts can be pretty tough and draining , not really for me.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'd cut personally.
  • midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm mainly focused on increasing strength and muscle. I didn't go into too much detail above, but I have two goals really to gain muscle and lose fat, so I just wanted some input as to which I would be better off tackling first. My long term goal therefore is more strength and more muscle and better aesthetics.
    However I am not really satisfied with my current body composition as I'd rather be leaner before starting a bulk. The only issue is that I want to progress with my lifts and cutting will probably stall that at some point. Cutting itself is not what I'm reluctant to do, it's the performance drain which bothers me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly focused on increasing strength and muscle. I didn't go into too much detail above, but I have two goals really to gain muscle and lose fat, so I just wanted some input as to which I would be better off tackling first. My long term goal therefore is more strength and more muscle and better aesthetics.
    However I am not really satisfied with my current body composition as I'd rather be leaner before starting a bulk. The only issue is that I want to progress with my lifts and cutting will probably stall that at some point. Cutting itself is not what I'm reluctant to do, it's the performance drain which bothers me.

If you decide to bulk / cut then suggest you should cut first from where you are now. (Save bulk for winter?)

If lifting performance is more important right now and your lifts are progressing then recomp at maintenance.

But how sensitive is your training performance to calorie balance?
    You could go with just under maintenance for example.
  • midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

If you decide to bulk / cut then suggest you should cut first from where you are now. (Save bulk for winter?)

If lifting performance is more important right now and your lifts are progressing then recomp at maintenance.

But how sensitive is your training performance to calorie balance?
    You could go with just under maintenance for example.

I was at maintenance from January to March and my lifts were stuck in a plateau. I've been lifting for almost a year following linear progression programs but I stall quite easily.