snacking at night

Options
anyone make some suggestions on how to curb my late night snacking i am trying not to eat after 9 pm but i get so hungry. and i am up until 12 usualy so i get really hungry help me

Replies

• kimber
    kimber Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    anyone make some suggestions on how to curb my late night snacking i am trying not to eat after 9 pm but i get so hungry. and i am up until 12 usualy so i get really hungry help me
  • EHBRown28
    EHBRown28 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Go to bed! I know that's easier said than done for many people, but it is exactly what I did last night when I wanted to eat and I was already at my caloric limit for the day. If you can't go to bed, you could carve out the # of calories (earlier in the day) of a low-cal snack and build them into your food choices for that day.

Good luck!

PS - I recently heard that people who sleep more hours tend to be thinner - and it's because they don't eat late night when the extra calories STAY with you all night.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree with EHBRown28 about working it into your daily calorie early in the day.

I'm the same way, I need a snack around that same time so I have a yogurt which is 60 calories.
    Just have something light. No biggie.
  • kimford28
    Options
    I agree with going to bed:) I turn the lights off in the kitchen, and go upstairs so I am not tempted to snack... If I do get hungry, I eat a banana or make myself a cup of tea.
  • brife17
    Options
    o dear, snacking at night. what can i say other than..... you caught me! i do it just like other people (all of us do some just dont admit it.) but i dont really think its that big of a deal other than the mini size candy bar that i had last night. but its had when that time of the month rolls around. so if there are any sweets suggestions that anyone could give me, i would love to try it.
    Bailey
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    my husband and i have the same problem. so now, we simply don't keep any snacks or treats in the hosue, and guess what: if it's not in the kitchen, we can't eat it. I decided to start going to sleep by 10 and it has been working so that I won't even get tempted. If I have to have something, I will make a cup of tea with no sugar and drink that. I know...it sounds boring but it's the only thing that has worked for me.

fai
  • kimber
    kimber Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thankyou for the advice i will let you know how it goes.
  • liverwurst
    liverwurst Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If your carving something sweet, try a carmel. They have ones that even have a chocolatey center. They are only 35 calories each, they are hard candy so it takes time for it to dissolve and might be enough to hold off a sweet binge.
  • jasip7
    jasip7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Is there really anything wrong with snacking at night? I've lost 18 pounds since July and have not given up my night time snacks. I've just made sure that they fit into my allotted calorie intake. Last night my daughter and I watched a movie and I snacked the whole time. Air popped popcorn...and some red grapes and a bottle of water. Sometimes i do raw veggies....or a bunch of fruit slices...with a string cheese...very satisfying. Also...sugar free puddings with a nice spoonful of fat free cool whip. That's about 75 calories but feels like your being decadent. :) Since starting in July I have not gone over my 1200 calories but I have also not felt deprived. I've just learned to eat things that are better for me.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don think so as long as you don't go overboard.

I love my low fat chocolate puding.
    Satisfies my chocolate craving and satsfies the little hunger I have.
    Great idea about the cool whip!
  • grammy2007
    Options
    love the Nabisco 100 calorie packs, Quaker has a 90 calorie Cinnamon Strusel pack, taste like you're cheating
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    How'd you know I cheated last night? Your guys are the angel on my shoulder.

A good snack is Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate - no sugar added. 60 calories. I entered it into the database. Just search for "Swiss Miss". It's made with water. If I want it a little richer, I will sub1/4 cup soy milk (plain) for part of the water - which does add some calories, (25) but also some other good nutrients to an otherwise pretty much NO nutrition hot chocolate.

Calories60Sodium170 mgTotal Fat1 gPotassium0 mg Saturated1 gTotal Carbs10 g Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber1 g Monounsaturated0 g Sugars7 g Trans0 gProtein2 gCholesterol0 mg Vitamin A0 %Calcium30 %Vitamin C0 %Iron4 %
    Calories25Sodium28 mgTotal Fat1 gPotassium80 mg Saturated0 gTotal Carbs2 g Polyunsaturated1 g Dietary Fiber0 g Monounsaturated0 g Sugars2 g Trans0 gProtein2 gCholesterol0 mg Vitamin A3 %Calcium6 %Vitamin C0 %Iron2 %
  • cwalbrj
    Options
    Snacking at night?! Who can NOT snack at night - it's part of the fun of watching TV at night.. I love a Weight Watcher's fudge bar (if I want something sweet) or some mini rice-cakes (Quaker Oats) that come in kettle popcorn flavor. Like everyone else, I save my calories so I can have my snack. I've been losing each week, so the "snacking" is not hurting me. Everything in moderation!
  • brife17
    Options
    ok i found some great things.
    mini rice cakes i think its like 8 or something and they add up to 20 calories
    and
    sugar free jello (can even add the whip cream) and it has held me off then i wait awhile and go to bed lol before i notice the after taste and want more
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    My kids and I love the apples with the carmel dipping. I have also recently found that dates are a great snack. I have eaten them for a long time but if you get them so they don't have the extra coating on them they can taste similiar to chocolate. Sounds crazy but I have seen recipes that use dates to mimic the flavor of chocolate. I love ice cream but a sorbet is less calories and better for you.

Eve
  • eonblue
    eonblue Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    drink a can of seltzer water. it fills me right up. then go to bed shortly there after before you start getting hungry again. ;)
  • stupidrobot
    stupidrobot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to give up my night snacking - like a lot of the people who've already posted I find it much easier to eat less during the day. I am usually always hungry at night and (even if I don't eat at night) can't stand the thought of eating early in the morning. I think some people have different biological eating schedules the same way that we have different biological sleeping schedules. While I can't get rid of my night snacking all together, I find that a good way to curb it is to eat something that takes a little while to chew, like carrots or apple slices. Then I feel full without eating as much. It also helps to set down your food while you chew, and not pick it up again until you've finished swallowing the the previous bite - then you have time to process the feeling the previous bite left in your stomach before you start on the next bite.
  • raine
    raine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    here is the be all end all of night snack foods for me: broccoli florets or cucumer slices (english, with skins on) they're crunchy and sweet, and loaded with fiber. just a bowl in front of the tv during the news or whatever when i do feel like snacking at night.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    here is an easy snack. 1/2 c regular popping corn in brown lunch sack taped closed with clear tape and microwave for 2-3 min. Just be sure to listen to when it stops popping. You don't have to have all the butter and salt added if you make your own. I don't think thats a bad snack at night.
  • coffeebean92
    coffeebean92 Posts: 41 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Personally I am a night owl and I specifically set aside a certain amount of calories to eat at night and subtract that from my daily calories. I works great for me. For example generally I stick to eating 500 starting midnight then I try not to eat again until 6am earliest leaving 1000 till midnight so 1500 in total. I also exercise during the day and I feel like exercising on a lighter stomach partially intermittently fasted actually burns more calories. This way I can still get out all my snacking cravings and maintain my weight and I feel less deprived.