strength training at 58... uncharted territory

i have been a gym rat, on and off, for more than thirty years. after a decade long absence from the weight room, i started lifting again, following an old-fashioned five by five progressive training regimen. over the last six months, i have made steady, if slow, progress. my numbers are a fraction of what i was doing last time around, but going up. old injuries remind me they are still there, but haven't limited progress yet. so that's all good. what i am noticing now, which is not so good, is the onset of ligament, tendon, and joint pain. not a lot, and not steady, but definitely there.

and other than easing up when the various pains point toward injuring myself, i am wondering how to work with it. i am okay with my progress being slow; i am almost sixty. my musculature is up to the task but perhaps my bones, etc are not. i know what i did when i was thirty, or even forty, isn't likely to apply now. more frequent deloading periods? switching between 5x5 and volume lifting? alternating between compound barbell lifting and some sort of core/small muscle work? something else?

any men out there with relevant experience?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I'm 56 and found when I got back into training seriously the biggest hurdle to progressing was aggravating old joint injuries.
    What works for me is training in a pyramid style of decreasing reps and increasing weight. In effect I get a lift specific warm up but also hit failure several times at different weights / reps rather than just rely on overloading with weight. 3RM is usually the lowest reps I will go as that tends to be a danger zone of making something go "ping" far more likely. Recovery from injury does take a lot longer in your 50's.

I made fairly rapid progress in first year back until I got to what I regard as "normal for me when regularly training" level but progress has been very slow since then.

There's some lifts I just can't do (or can only do at a weight that makes them pointless) due to injuries. That really sucks!
    There's some I have to modify - I can shoulder press a higher weight than my lumbar spine will tolerate so have to do more single arm lifts to halve the compression.

I still train in a similar way of majority of work being based on big compound lifts but do far more core/ab work than ever before to help support my back injuries. I tend to do quite a high volume as I've worked hard on my fitness and recovery between lifts is good. Accessory/isolation work is limited, targeting specific weak areas or just for fun at the end of my session.

Still enjoy it just as much though.

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    FWIW, my biggest issue has just been recovery time -- I just can't pile on the volume and expect to recover from it like I did when I was a few decades younger. 5x5 at WW is a crapload of volume once you get past the initial stages -- by six months, you probably should be looking at dropping to 3x5 at working weight (and 1x5 WW a bit later). By twelve months, at most, you probably should switch to an intermediate level routine like Madcow or one of the zillion Wendler 531 variants.
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    I'm 59 and have experienced many of the same joint issues you have. I was doing SL 5x5 until the squats and DL started bugging my knees and the lower back. Since then, I've been focusing on my core and compound lifts in the 8-10 rep range. But after reading Stuart McRoberts' Beyond Brawn, his programs seem to cater to the older lifter. So I'll adopt one of his programs, re-introduce squats an DLs done judiciously, and allow for a much more generous recovery time between lifting days.
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    this is all really helpful. i am running into some level all of these: joint issues. recovery time. certain lifts that i can't do because of old injuries. i am going to track down mcroberts' book.

at the same time, i am enjoying lifting more now than i ever did. maybe because being able to do it all seems a miracle. ;)

thanks all! it is good to know that i am not the only one trying to figure this out.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    At 66 I've had to make my training more abbreviated (fewer exercises per workout) and limiting it to compound multi-joint exercises. My objective had to change to what's going to improve my quality of life and not give me an injury that puts my in an electric shopping cart.

Alternating hot/cold showers and getting plenty of sleep helps me with recovery. I also wave the load (not every session full tilt). My joint issues became more manageable when I quit trying to make every workout something to put on facebook.

If you want to hang with lifting as heavy as you can you might want to read "Gray hair and black iron" by Brooks Kubik.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I'm 65 and just started weight training again after a 3 year hiatus. Was doing 5x5 Stronglifts (SL) before but am now doing a modified Starting Strength (SS) program. Although it's only been 3 years, I can't do 5x5 at the weights I'm working at now, which aren't much different than they were 3 years ago. SS normally uses a 3x5 MWF routine but I found the last 3 reps too taxing. Tried 5x3 which was better, but still found the last 2 sets of 3 too taxing. So, I'm just using a 3x3 routine now, which suits my objective for lifting which is mainly strength.

I've also taken to heart one of things that Mark Rippetoe (the creator of SS) stresses in his books and writings. Allow yourself MORE than enough time for rest/recovery between sets and between lifts. SL doesn't think too much of rest and commonly only suggests 90 sec to 3 min rest between sets and no rest whatsoever between lifts. I've been taking 3-5 mins rest between sets and 5-10 min rests between lifts. Proper sleep and eating enough are also things Rip suggests to maintain the ability to improve your lifting.

I'm also doing 30 mins of cardio every day either rowing or biking and have added some Crossfit type exercises every other day -- like tire lifting/striking, sled pulling/pushing, battle ropes, landmine and farmer's walks -- to break up the monotony. These things also take away the compulsion/desire to just lift max weights and puts the emphasis more on general conditioning which I think is more important than max strength at "our" age.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    60 here and on week 5 of Stronglifts 5 x 5 (I've been running and cycling for years so my cardio is good). My kids laugh when I say that I have to work twice as hard to get half the results but I'm already feeling stronger and have found it's made a difference in my cycling.

I suspect that my progress will start slowing down as the weights increase (maybe go to 5lbs increase each week rather than every workout) as it does take longer to recover than when I was 20!

Strength training is not an option for us geezers unless we want to become one of the frail old men you see shuffling down the street as a result of loss of lean muscle mass.......
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    thanks all... some good ideas here.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I am 57 years. I don't know about doing high-volume specifically. But I find I have to mix things up early and often. So, naturally, sometimes that is high volume.
    That and, as mentioned, recovery is an issue. Boy, it is slow.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    I am 48 and my husband turned 58 last Saturday. He lifts 6 days a week and he has a fused back and still lifts. Albeit some variation changes in exercises or there are just some exercises he cannot do. and Joint pain is just that. We both have invested in compression sleeves, knee sleeves, you name it. We both were really weak in the forearms in the beginning. and core work is a major plus.

He is on a first time bulk, and making amazing progress, we both complain about ailments from time to time, and recovery from workouts are much better. Do not have a magic formula. We just sort of do it!

So there is not much more to add, but that there is one other person out there that feels your pain.