Vacation!

Options
I will be gone for 5 days a little nervous! Tips and advice on how to stay strong lol
There will be tons of homemade mexican/guatemalan food, pan dulce so much temptation. Especially at the family reunion! Just wonder how you all do it when on Vacation.
Next mo th I will be jn vegas but I think thatll be easier I wont have my family saying oh my goodness you need to eat ect ect.
Thanks for any tips and advice

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When I'm on vacation I'm generally way more active than I am at home where I sit at a desk most of the day five days per week. I just got back from Columbia, South America...I ate a lot of good food and drank copious amounts of beer and rum...lost 4 Lbs.

I don't worry about a vacation...I look at the big picture and the totality of what I'm doing...not a handful of days.
  • swwass130
    swwass130 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to just be a mindful eater and eat only when hungry. It is all to easy to eat because food is available. I went to Europe for two weeks recently and didn't gain any weight. Walking a ton and being careful with what I atehelped so much. On the other hand I had a family reunion over the 4th, did the opposit, ate and drank everything in site. I put on 3 lbs in 2 days and am now paying the price in the gym. It is much easier to watch what you are eating on vacation.
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with dancingonstarz, track everything you eat as best as you can and try to just maintain your weight while on vacation. You can plug the numbers into MFP and it will tell you how many calories. Just mark the current weight as the goal. Try to monitor all your exercise; steps with your phone, pedometer or tracker. Plug that in MFP too. That will give you a lot more calories while your gone and prevent you from gaining too much weight anyway. Under "Mexican", you'll find a lot of Mexican foods to choose from. If somethings not there, try to go to a restaurant site and find something there. It's not going to be 100% unless you actually let MFP calculate the recipe, but it'll give you SOMETHING to work with. If you go over one day, try to be under the next if you can. You just don't want to lose all control and give up on your weight loss journey. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Just got back from vacation and I didn't log a damn thing. I was very active however and had a great time. I put on five pounds according to my scale, it is mostly water weight from all the salty food and beer. It will be gone in a week or so. Back to logging my intake.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Just got back from vacation and I didn't log a damn thing. I was very active however and had a great time. I put on five pounds according to my scale, it is mostly water weight from all the salty food and beer. It will be gone in a week or so. Back to logging my intake.

Yep. My scale always increases by 5-7 pounds after vacation and goes back down over the next week or two. Enjoy yourself and get back to it once you're home!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I don't worry when I'm on vacations. I just make sure not to eat till I'm stuffed/uncomfortable (even though that sometimes still happens, lol) and try to stay active.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just got back from an 8 day camping trip. I had all good intentions of logging my food, but then when I went on a couple extended hikes I realized I could just be mindful of what I was eating. I logged 26 miles of hiking so it was easy. Back at it today with no harm done.
  • tattoogal77
    tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I will be going to Vegas in Aug and I plan to walk to as many places as possible. Stay active, plan to get a good walk in the morning or at night, eat veggies instead of chips, fruit instead of dessert. And if possible, do a little grocery store trip for yourself. Set yourself up for success. If you family loves you, they should support you!!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    We were in Costa Rica for a week in May (FABULOUS, btw). Honestly, I exercised and dieted my *kitten* off in the weeks before, so I had about 10 lb to play with. And then, I just relaxed and enjoyed our vacation. My husband and I did take a couple of mile-long beach walk daily, which probably helped. But I ate what I wanted and especially drank what I wanted to :)

After all of that, I gained 8lb. I went right back to my diet and exercise routine when we got home, and it took about 3 weeks to lose it. I hope that you go on your vacation and enjoy the heck out of it. That is what they are for. :)
  • norena08
    norena08 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Both vacations were awesome! I lost weight when I went to cali in july and when I went to vegas a couple of weeks ago! Thanks for the advice