Frying in oil? Calories?

Options
I went to my fathers house tonight for dinner. I made onion rings that were measured out and waiting for 210 Cals. They were the flash frozen kind that were already battered and fried. I then heated them in vegetable oil until cooked and crispy. I know for sure the measured amount before cooking was 210 calories. Approximately how many calories would you say where in the refried onion rings?

Replies

• bbgun714
    bbgun714 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hmm...a tablespoon of oil tends to be 120 calories, so I would approximate how much oil you used then add it to the onion rings
  • Xo_healthylc
    Xo_healthylc Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It was deep fried in like a half gallon of oil lol
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering how to estimate this, too.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    A lot. Probably no way to know for sure.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It may have been fried in a half gallon of oil, but it didn't absorb all of the oil, so we have to estimate how much oil got absorbed into the food. The only other way to do it is to measure how much oil goes into the fryer and how much is left when you are done frying and divide that by how many servings you cooked. I usually estimate 1 Tablespoon
  • blackaheep4288
    blackaheep4288 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd look for something to compare this to. I personally used hardees the other day for the same comparison.

Hardee's - Beer Battered Onion Rings

Calories

• XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There are a number of articles online which cover this very topic. Here is one from Livestrong.com:
    How Many Calories Does Frying Add and here is another: Calculating Calories in Deep Fried Foods