Why are my scales not budging :-(

Options
Quick question, how long did it take for you to see results and a difference in the number on the scales? I'm doing 4 hours a week at the least of half and half strength and cardio training and the scales aren't budging. I have been keeping my calories at around 1300 a day when I don't exercise and then upping it on days I have leg days etc

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Is it a new workout routine for you? Starting a new routine can cause water retention for a time as the muscles try to heal from the new stress.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It depends. I weighed myself the week after I started and saw a pretty big loss because of initial water weight but some people retain water and don't see a loss at first due to exercise. Do you weigh your food? Are you sure you're not overestimating exercise calories?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Is it a new workout routine for you? Starting a new routine can cause water retention for a time as the muscles try to heal from the new stress.

This.
    How long are we talking?
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Every time I increase exercise, it takes the scale two weeks to register due to water retention.
  • justinbrux
    justinbrux Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't worry to much about your scale, let the mirror be your scale, take measurements weekly and concentrate on a clean diet, switch you're program up every 3 weeks to keep you're body guessing and you will see results.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Give it at least a month before deciding somethings not working.
    If you are 100% sure your food logging is on point, as in weighing and logging everything you eat honestly and accurately,Then give it a bit more time. If there is room for improvement in your logging, then i would start by tightening that up.
  • jess199007
    jess199007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for a month now, I generally eat 1800 calories max on a day I have done strength training. I have upped my water intake drastically as well as I was not drinking enough water a month ago
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Can you open up your diary? You'll get tailored advice, rather than people guessing on what the problem may be.

Go here to set it to public

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

ETA: you never answered how you are measuring your food intake.. Without seeing your diary I'm guessing this could be the problem.