Having trouble determining my activity level!

Options
Okay, I want to be accurate and be fair to myself and my goals, and I am having trouble determining my general daily activity level. Technically I have a desk job, but I walk 6,500-10,000 steps (up to 5 miles) a day by the time I sit down at night! Does that count as lightly active?
Thanks all!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    10,000 usually keeps me at a lightly active intake.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Lightly active.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation and I'm set at lightly active. I also don't have my fitbit linked for any caloric adjustments or eat my exercise calories, so if I'm not reallt lightly active every day, I should still have some sort of deficit.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you are entering your exercise separately (such as syncing with a Fitbit or step tracking app) and having MFP adjust your calorie budget accordingly, then I would characterize it as sedentary and let MFP add more calories as you work out. But if you don't want to add your steps separately, then I would put it as lightly active.

For what it's worth, I run 4x/week, lift weights 3x/week, but have a mostly sedentary job. I put my activity level as sedentary, but linked MFP to Runkeeper and turned on calorie adjustments. My daily exercise calories get added to my calorie allotment each day, but I try not to eat more than half or so of them back.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    Okay, I want to be accurate and be fair to myself and my goals, and I am having trouble determining my general daily activity level. Technically I have a desk job, but I walk 6,500-10,000 steps (up to 5 miles) a day by the time I sit down at night! Does that count as lightly active?
    Thanks all!

If you set yourself as "lightly active", you would not eat your exercise calories back.

If you set yourself as "sedentary", then you'd add the walking you do as exercise, and might eat about half that back.