Returning with a vengeance

Options
MobiusMan
MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
I had lost about 90 pounds in 2010 with the aid of folks on this site. Subsequently I was diagnosed with a heart murmur. Over the next few years it proved to be much more than the basic murmur. My Aortic valve was falling victim to stenosis (stiffening) and had lost about 40% of its original cross-section. I began experiencing a great deal of fatigue and over the next two years it steadily worsened. By January 2016 I was having difficulty doing the most basic tasks. Finally, my cardiologist and cardiac surgeon agreed it was time to fix the issue. April 18th, 2016 I underwent MIVR (minimally invasive valve replacement) where my CS opened my chest between the second and third rib, spread the hole slipped inside my Aotra, cut out the offending native valve and installed an On-x 23mm artificial, mechanical valve. Going in i was, to be frank, terrified. I had plenty of family and friends support but regardless, looking at a 1 in 200 chance of not coming out the other side I'd daunting. As it turned out the operation was a monstrous success. I came through with no issues and none of the potential problems such as A-Fib or other heart and regulatory issue...none.
within 12 hours I could feel the difference.
Within a day I was walking laps around the nurses station
4 day later I was home and immediately started an easy but essential walking program
Withing a month I was riding bike
In two I was swimming
The last week I have been able to swim for a full hour. Not hard, not fast, i just keep moving.
So I'm tracking intake here again and although I lost 20+ pounds within a week of surgery (it's amazing what the body can do when the ticker works properly) I have lost many more since and intend to grind this to a win.
I'm a bit acidic, I have a wickedly funny sense of humor and I'm just plain glad to be alive. Let's do this thing.

Replies

• cmpeeblesmfp
    cmpeeblesmfp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lets do this thing! I am in the grind with you. Thanks and good luck with everything...a wicked sense of humor helps is exactly what I need to keep it moving.
  • missak610
    missak610 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm cheering you on from here :)
    What a great display of tenacity! I'm back to the grind after losing my Momma and my marriage in Dec and Jan. Gained 15 pounds and now the pounds and plump aren't budging like they have before :(
  • 100poundsx
    100poundsx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story! Feel free to add me! I am so glad you have come back and glad everything is great with your health. Good luck!