another heart rate monitor question...

Options
So I am looking into buying a HRM since I currently don't have one. I know the best ones are those with the chest straps that measure the ECG (or EKG) of your heart. I have had and EKG done by my general practitioner and by a cardiologist and both have noted that my EKG readings are abnormal aka my heart has a different electrical currents then most people. However, they said it is nothing to be concerned about and there is no health risk. It is just different. Apparently, my grandmother has the same issue... she is 70 something now and has never had heart problems so I'm not worried.

I am wondering will a HRM still work for me even though my normal ECG readings are "abnormal"?

Replies

• GypsyWildflower
    Options
    I would love to help, but I really don't know. That is something to ask your GP just to be sure. Good luck!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will pick up the irregular heartbeat with no problem. I have a similar condition where an extra beat is thrown in after so many beats. My Polar FT7 works fine.
  • mamahix
    mamahix Posts: 14
    Options
    I have the same condition. The electrical "circuit" is blocked on one side so it travels a different path. I forgot the medical name for it but my dr also said nothing to worry about. I have used heart rate monitor watch in the past without problems but not recently. I assume I was born with this abnormality but not certain. I only learned I had it this year. But I do check my blood pressure/pulse at home and with the little kiosks like at walmart, etc. All get readings on my heartbeat and seem accurate.
  • crazie01grape
    crazie01grape Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Its great to hear that people haven't had problems with the HRM's despite being off of the norm. I know that many of the sites say that they say that they would work, but its good to hear positive testimonials from users!

I can't wait to get one!