Motivation lacking.

Options
TheRavenne
TheRavenne Posts: 9 Member
Hi all. I'm not exactly new to the site, but haven't participated as much as I should. I have about 45 pounds to lose. I know what I need to do, it's just putting it into action. Back in high school I ran and lifted weights, I even became AAAI/ISMA certified to lead aerobics classes (the gym I worked for wouldn't let me teach because at 122 pounds they said I was too fat and not inspiring to the members. Go figger.)
ANYhoo, I have struggled with my weight almost my whole life, but after my last kid (21 years ago) I ballooned up to 195 and stayed there for years. I am now down to 172 (was 158, gained some back) and quite frustrated with myself. I will admit to being a food and carbohydrate addict and suffer from PCOS which often makes me feel as if my body is constantly undermining my efforts.
Every morning I wake up determined to do things differently, but as the day wears on, I effectively talk myself out of exercise and talk myself into taking that extra bite or plate of food.
Whew. I feel so much better getting that off my chest.
I look forward to participating more on this site. Feel free to add me, there is strength in numbers I always say.

Replies

• ivylyon
    ivylyon Posts: 172 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hi, for me finding motivation is the most important thing..if you have a goal clearly in mind and you really want to get there, everything else (the diet, the exercise) is possible. You need to a clear goal, a clear vision of what you want your body to be. Saying "i should lose a few pounds" isnt going to get you there.

(My story: i gained 45lbs over 18 months a few years back, but Id always been around 127 before that - sometimes less, sometimes a little more. I lost half a couple of years back, but i missed my old size, being light and agile and have now determined to lose the last 22lbs, i have 8 to go)

Sounds like you used to be very active. What exercise do you like to do? Find something that you enjoy and start there. Get moving, get enjoying your body again. Good luck!!
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you're waking up in the morning determined to do things differently, capitalize on that - get up earlier to work out, plan your meals for the day then, etc. I tend to be more motivated in the afternoon/evening when I get out of school or whatever else I'm doing during the day and need to blow off stress, so that's when I throw on my gym clothes and work out before I have a chance to talk myself out of it. Strike while the iron is hot.

Motivation is super-personal to each individual, and it's not always going to be in the form of "I feel like being healthy today." Here's what works for me. It's taken me all summer to get into a healthy groove before even coming back to MFP, and that's been taken up with developing habits and a routine that will survive. There are so many days that I have to talk myself out of stopping at Dairy Queen or making cookies that I know will tempt me to binge. It's just a matter of "suck it up, buttercup." One thing that SERIOUSLY motivates me to exercise - I have Periods Of Doom too (don't know if I have PCOS or not; I need to see a gyno), and five hours of sweat per week plus a calcium pill every day make the difference between being able to function during my period or spending two days in bed with a heating pad, resisting the urge to take a leftover pain pill and waiting for the ground to swallow me. The endorphins build up and help pain-block even when you're not exercising, apparently? Something like that.
  • moodygnome
    moodygnome Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling about talking yourself out of exercise only too well. So, so easy to do. A little tip that worked for me is never buying milk with the 'big' shop. When I run out I HAVE to walk to the nearest shop, which is about a 2 mile round trip. Little thing but it all counts towards the motivation...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @TheRavenne I have 2 suggestions: First, commit to just 5 minutes of exercise (walk, bellydance, Wii, whatever), and do it early in the day. If you want to go longer than 5 minutes, great. If not, you haven't let yourself down. Anybody can commit to 5 minutes of exercise. Second, pick just one diet improvement you want to make, like measuring your fats (butter, oil, dressings) or not eating after a certain hour JUST FOR TODAY. Make it something you can do, and don't try to change everything else.

There is a commitment thread you might like that I participate in. If you decide to join us, click the little pale star at the upper right corner of the top post so you can bookmark the page and find us again. I understand feeling disheartened. I kinda feel that way today myself.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10099482/just-for-today-daily-commitment-thread#latest
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest that I used to talk myself out of going to the gym too...then I told myself as long as I went, I could do yoga, I could stretch, I could sit on an exercise bike..as long as I showed up. Needless to say: I never wasted 1 day once I made it there. So go: do some yoga, read a book, sit in a massage bed..go do whatever you need to tell yourself to get there until it's a habit.