I'm going to Disneyworld!

Options
I would like to know if anyone has any tips on how to maintain a healthy diet while in Disneyworld. I have looked at some of the menus and am starting to worry that I will unintentionally blow all my hard work due to food unavailability. Has anyone been to Disneyworld that could give me pointers? I will be with a teenager and a younger child so freedom is not always a choice either. Any help?

Replies

• samamaof2
    samamaof2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We went a few weeks ago. Had dining plan, i ate like a pig. I went with my mind set on logging & watching what I ate, didn't happen! Decided just to enjoy myself & work hard when we got back. Adult portions are huge, sharing meals can help you out. Not sure if you're doing dining plan, if so remember you don't have to get dessert, you can swap for fruit, salad, or even bottles of water. There are lots of healthy choices though, so staying on track is totally doable. Lots of walking, sweating & water drinking. I weighed myself morning we left & came back, incredibly stayed the same! That was also 2 days worth of eating in new Orleans. It was a bit hard readjusting now that vacay is over. I just reminded myself that I have a goal to reach & need to stop slacking! Best of luck! Have fun!
  • ofcsfoster36
    ofcsfoster36 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Disney is a hard place to eat healthy. But can be done like said above share meals. Not only is it healthier by also saves money. when I go and I go a lot, bring snacks with you and only eat meals in the park.

One thing to remember. Is all the walking you will be doing in the Florida heat and my god it is hot right now. I have never went to disneyworld where I haven't walked 15-20 miles a day and stood for hours. You will be burning lots of calories. Even more if you are swimming at the hotel.

But at the end of the day just have fun don't torture yourself.
  • Mom2Frankie
    Mom2Frankie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We are going in September. I figured I might as well enjoy it since it's not a cheap vacation. I'm going to eat whatever I want but try to keep my portions the same. I'm also packing breakfast (except for one day we have reservations) so I can't control that meal.
  • Mrsmonas
    Mrsmonas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can definitely eat healthy especially if you have the table service dining plan. Quick service is a bit more tricky as most of it is burgers, fries, etc. But still, it can be done. And like others commented, you will be walking like crazy. I managed not to gain miraculously even eating dessert
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I was just in DisneyLand in April, didn't gain any weight while I was there, it's actually not that hard. Portions are huge so keep this in mind when you order. If you and your kids have the same taste in food, then sharing meals is ideal. Or you can just get an appetizer instead of an entree. Or you can order off the kids menu instead of the adult menu. Also, I found there was almost always some kind of vegetarian option everywhere we went, either a salad or some kind of veggie plate. If you aren't finding something that meets your needs, don't be afraid to ask, they can and will do alterations to the menu to meet dietary restrictions.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you want to spend. Pretty much all the sit down places have healthy options but they are much more expensive then the fat food type places. Def take lots of snacks- fruit, rice cakes, and the such. Also if you see any station with a fast food type drink dispenser you can ask for a glass of water for free! Disney doesn't want anyone passing out from dehydration!

This link is a little old but I don't think they change their menus all that often.

http://www.buildabettermousetrip.com/healthy-food-choices/
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I would just enjoy my vacation and worry when I get back. But that's just me. *shrug*
  • jbatinker
    jbatinker Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I went in April of this year. I did not deny myself anything but when I could I choose the healthy options - chicken, egg whites, fruit, etc. Yes I had a MICKEY bar - my favorite but not as many as I had in the past. I also cut out all soda and only drank water and coffee, and an occasionally a glass of wine. Everyone is right - there is a lot more walking, standing, etc. than you expect. I ended up losing weight - 1.2 pounds.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I would just enjoy my vacation and worry when I get back. But that's just me. *shrug*

Me, too. I've been to DW a few times. We walked so much, there were really no issues.
  • JenniferPlus2
    JenniferPlus2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You guys were really helpful and lowered my stress level about it.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm a travel agent, specializing in Disney World vacations, so, believe me, we go ALOT! That said, some of my highest step count days have been at Disney, so I don't really tend to watch what I eat too much cause I know I'll likely walk it off. And even if I do gain a few pounds while I'm there, that's okay too as long as I get right back on the wagon as soon as I come home.

Have a great time! It's definitely my happy place! :)
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I went in June. I walked over 20,000 steps at Magic Kingdom (about11-12 hours). We even took a 5 hour break back at our rental (where I slept for 2.5 hours). Also, you can bring in healthy snacks that will help u stay on track.