Signed up for my first triathlon!

Options
Funny story: over the holiday weekend, saw an old friend at a barbeque. Old habits resurfaced (meaning far to many drinks). Long story short: in my hungover, self-loathing state I decided to "punish myself" by signing up for a triathlon.

I signed up for an Olympic length tri at the end of September: 1.5k swim, 40k bike, and 10k (0.9, 25, and 6.2 miles respectively). I'm a little rusty on swimming, but individually those bike/run distances aren't an issue.

Anyway, I've upped my protein and carb intake goals in hopes of losing a little of my gut while I train. This will be fun! Hungover me makes weird decisions, but I'm excited for this one

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you'll be swimming for a while. Good luck on your Tri.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Swimming has always been my kryptonite, if you can find a coach to help with your stroke mechanics it'll help a lot. If you can try to get some open water group swims (there will be body contact in the swim portion).

You should also try to get in some brick workouts (running off the bike) the first couple of times it can be pretty amusing running on rubbery legs - the bricks help you prepare for that both mentally and physically. Practice your transitions, set up your stuff in the T zone the same way all the time....one less thing to think about (another handy item are bungee type shoe laces....just slip on your running shoes after the bike and away you go, no fumbling with laces)

Have fun!
  • beckyboyes
    beckyboyes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ha ha at least you can blame the drink for signing up!!!!!! But all that training will help you loose the gut as you put it. I highly recommend getting in open water swimming and then at least you can also practise getting out off you wetsuit quickly.
    My swim is also my downfall ( strong phobia off putting my head under water) but i give it my best and have fun along the way,
    Wishing you the best of luck and enjoy the training and enjoy the big day, keep us posted.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    On a positive note, Beer is a favored carb source of many triathletes, so I'd say that your training is already underway.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Sounds sort of like something I would do, although a friend of mine and I usually sign up for events while we are drinking. Sounds like a great idea at the time, sometimes it doesn't sound so great when we wake up. This is how I signed up for my first stair climb I think :)

Good luck, enjoy!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I make my best decisions while drinking carbs!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I've thought about doing a spring triathlon but would really need to work on my swimming first as by technique is awful
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I did my first sprint triathlon a few weeks ago. Swimming was hard since I just learned how to swim and I completely forgot what to do once I got in the water! Also running after the bike portion was tough since my lower back hurt, but I completed it and that was my goal. Good luck to you!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    hahaha - congrats on using foggy beer googles to make a punishing decision. Good luck!