All you runners.....how did you start out?

Options
I've recently started running on a treadmill and to be honest it's embarrassing......I can manage 6 minutes max before I have to slow down to a fast walking pace.....after that I can manage a minute before I have to walk for a couple of mins. I see people at the gym running non stop for ages and wonder if I'll ever get to that stage. Is this normal or am I exceptionally unfit?? I can walk fast on a high incline for ages and this burns loads of calories so I tend to take this option but I would love to be able to run I just need need some motivation...... so would love to hear some stories about how you started out when you were running and got to the stage you're at now. Thanks :)

Replies

• joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    yea I feel the same! I can run for about 2 minutes and my chest feels like its burning!! Would love to hear some stories too!
  • themurph8910
    themurph8910 Posts: 124
    Options
    You have to listen to your body... I run in a group and we training for 1/2 marathons. There is one girl who runs for 3 minutes then walks for 1 minute and so on until she has completed her miles for that day. I personally have a hard time running on tredmills I like to run outside. But do a 20 min speed workout on the tredmill once a week and I am just now getting use to it. If you need to walk just walk for about a min then start running again. If you can not carry on a coversation while you are running I personally think that you are running to fast. I hope that helps. And remember its ok to walk or slow down. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies. I started out not even being able to run 2 miles at once and now I am running 1/2 marathons. I started in November of 2010 and by May 1st I was running 13.1 miles. and yes i took walk breaks I still do on my short runs the first mile is going to be the hardest to get your breathing under control start slow and finish strong. Good Luck!
  • theresa92594
    Options
    i'm just starting this couch to 5k program, it trains you to run a 5k in 9 weeks, it's great!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I started doing the c25k program!
    I'm still not a "runner", but I'm getting there!!
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I've recently started running on a treadmill and to be honest it's embarrassing......I can manage 6 minutes max before I have to slow down to a fast walking pace.....after that I can manage a minute before I have to walk for a couple of mins. I see people at the gym running non stop for ages and wonder if I'll ever get to that stage. Is this normal or am I exceptionally unfit?? I can walk fast on a high incline for ages and this burns loads of calories so I tend to take this option but I would love to be able to run I just need need some motivation...... so would love to hear some stories about how you started out when you were running and got to the stage you're at now. Thanks :)

I started running as I wanted to do the 5km race for life (3.2 miles) I managed 1/2 a mile before I had to walk, thats about 5-6 minutes. I perservered and ran 3 times a week, aiming to do 1 mile, then 1.5, after a few months I was able to run 3 miles none stop in 33 minutes, I was then able to get my time down to 3 miles in 28 minutes,

After this I joined a running club and signed up to races and began adding on a mile a week to my runs,

In February this year I ran a half marathon which is 13.2 miles and I ran none stop in 2 hours 35 minutes,

For me I found it was pushing past the barrier, after 2 miles (20 minutes) I find I hit a wall and I want to stop but if I push through then my breathing and my pulse settles down and the next few miles are easy,

The key (I find) is to aim for stamina not speed, dont set off really fast, I find 10-11 minutes per mile is a good managable pace for me,
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Another vote for couch to 5K. I have just started it, week one day two done. If you are running 6 mins already you might find it a bit easy to start with but if it works it will have you running 30 mins or 5K by the end of the programme.

Good luck.
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I started by firstly doing a brisk walk ( I have stuck to the same route which is a 2.3 mile circuit)
    I then introduced some jogging - 1 min walk, 1 min jog
    I then gradually upped the jogging time - 1 min walk, 2 min jog, then next time 1 min walk 3 min jog etc, using lamp posts as markers to close gaps so I was jogging more than I was walking, pushing myself a little bit further each time.
    I have been doing this over a period of about 4 weeks and I can now jog almost the whole way apart from 1 hill that I walk up.
    I use a running watch to time myself which is another incentive as I try and equal or beat my last time.
    It is surprising how quickly your fitness levels increase in a short space of time.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT to always warm up and cool down before / after with stretches and to wear correct footwear to reduce the risk of injuries
  • HeatherSuzanne123
    Options
    I promise you are not exceptionally unfit! 6 minutes is a great start...hell, 30 seconds would be a great start! The important thing to remember is that you are running, distance and speed will come.

I started running a 1 1/2 ago. I started with a very, very, very slow mile and worked my way up. I now average 4 miles for my short runs and 6 miles for my long runs. I run 4 times a week. I also walk when I have too also. I find running on the threadmill boring so when I train on it, which I have to often, I find I walk more. Not sure if it is mental or just harder to run on a threadmill than the road. Also, never compare yourself to what others are doing, I find it won't help! So, my recommendations are to keep running, even if it's 2 minutes a time, get some good running shoes, and hit the road or threadmill! And most importantly have fun! Oh, and to keep yourself motivated sign up for a 5k that is about a month away. It will give you goals!

With that being said...I must go get ready to run the Peachtree Road Race now! Best of luck and Happy 4th! (feel free to friend me if you want. I love chatting with people about running!)
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    i'm just starting this couch to 5k program, it trains you to run a 5k in 9 weeks, it's great!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Just started it too works very well for me so far. It takes a lot to run and it is good for you and a great work out but kicks your butt! You just have to push through and keep going :)
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you have woodland/dirt tracs/ grassfields near you try running there. Is much easier on the joints and doesnt take as much energy. I can run for 20 min on a treadmill, but in a wood for 1h 10 mins. At 7mph speed.
  • george1957
    george1957 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I started running by using the Couch to 5k App. I have been using this app for about 9 weeks and now run between 5 & 9km every three days. When I started this running programme I could only run for about 2 mins. Remember it all starts with the first step. Good Luck.
  • ahem
    ahem Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To start off with if you haven't been running regularly for awhile, 6min is nothing to be embarrassed about!

I first started learning how to run 6 weeks ago, using the couch to 5k (aka C25K) program. I hadn't run since being forced to at school a decade ago and even then I never took it seriously and always managed to slow to a walk as soon as the coach was out of view. I struggled in that first week, which was only alternating 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes. Man I was puffed out, I still remember collapsing on the front step when I made it home the first time wondering how on earth I was going to manage the weeks to come and being appalled at how much I had let myself go.

Now I can run non-stop for 25 minutes, I never thought I'd be able to do that when I started. I think the trick is slow and steady progression, so you don't do your self an injury and get put off ever trying to run again. Also I have to say, I have found running outside off the treadmill has been easier and much more beneficial, so if it's possible for you to do, I would heartily recommend this. It so much easier to modify your pace and push yourself, without worrying you'll go flying off the back of the machine.

Tools that have been invaluable to me during this all are the NHS C25K podcasts - http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx - which provides background music with the right beat to run to and Laura the 'trainer' who lets you know when to run, when you can slow down and talks you though the hard bits. Also Endomondo - http://www.endomondo.com - a free app which uses your mobile phone's GPS to track your running route, works out your average speed and calories burnt.

Hope this helps and good luck, I'm sure people will be watching you run for ages in awe before you know it :-)
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thats exactly how I started... I took my speed down to 7.0 and started with trying to run 0.5 mile then walk 1 mile at 6.0... I've gradually built it up so that now I can run a full mile without stopping, walk 0.5 mile, and alternate that. I've gradually increased my walking speed to 6.4 and my running speed to 7.5.... eventually my walking speed will meet the running speed....its all about gradual steps and don't worry about what anyone else thinks... I was on a treadmill next to a man that ran a full hour at a speed of 11, but he was pulling the funniest faces I've ever seen, so I think I'm happier to do a stop/start run than to pull faces like that :)
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think I'll take a look at the C25k and see what that's about. It's helping me to read everyone's stories, it's hard to imagine the person running non-stop on the treadmill next to me started out with small steps too, I hold this image that they just stepped on a treadmill for the first time in their life and ran 5 miles, they make it look so effortless, and then there is me, next to them, panting and sweating after 2 minutes and losing the will to live lol.
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I managed 8 minutes non stop running morning and then I walked on incline for the remaining 12. I'm going to attempt to increase my running time by 1 minute each session until I can run for 30 minutes then I'm going to work on increasing speed and distance. I have a feeling this method is going to work for me pretty well......will see how it goes :) Kinda feels like a mini victory managing the 8 mins......my next victory 10 mins lol :)