Started taking Glucosamine

tnkhart
tnkhart Posts: 72 Member
Just wondering what other people have experienced taking Glucosamine and or MSM ? I started taking both today. When I do my Power90 routine some of the moves kill me knee. Mainly jumping jacks. I have an alternate move for it now but I thought I'd try the Glucos and MSM. Would love to hear from those that use it. By the way, yes I did read some of the message boards here and there seems to be some pretty good feedback. Thanks and have a great 4th of July Everyone.

Replies

• Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    I've got very weak ankles that I seem to sprain all the time and I started taking a Glucosamine and MSM in one everyday about a month ago and I've noticed a big difference when running and wearing certain types of shoes :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    My mom used to get great results from glucosamine/ chondroitin, but she has diabetes now and can't take it every day.
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    I have struggled with the same issues. I can sure see a difference when I take my supplements religiously. I woud recommend a formula that includes hyaluronic acid, glucosamine and MSM. The one I like is Source Naturals Hyaluronic Joint Complex.

Hyaluronic acid works by acting as a cushion and lubricant in the joints and other tissues. It also thought to positively affect the way the body responds to injury.

Good stuff! I think you will see a difference!

Yvonne :smile:
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    I tried glucosamine for a couple of months but honestly found it made no difference in my joints, so quit taking it. Hope you have better results.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    The DH and I took a glucosamine/chondroitin mix for a couple of years and we noticed no difference when we went on it or off it. One, just know that there is no standard in manufacturing. Consumer Reports did a study a few years back and found that the Target brand was among the most reliable. And two, keep an eye on your cholesterol. There have been some studies and lots of anecdotal evidence that glucosamine raises cholesterol levels. Ironically, we haven't taken it in over a year and this year the DH's cholesterol dropped 42 points despite very minor changes in diet or exercise. We're only left wondering if that is in part due to not taking the supplement any longer. MSM has not been linked to higher levels of cholesterol tho.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Chronic knee pain since college. Got worse jumping out of planes in the Army. Serious, stabbing pain int the right knee every othe day and constant ache in the left.

Moved here to SoCal 5 years ago and the new doctor suggested Gluc. "Get a big bottle from Costco and see if it works"

I tried it. Two days layer, no pain.

No pain since even when I weighed 295.

If I don't take it for a few days my knees hurt.

Clinical trials show that it helps Only as much as a placebo fir moderate arthritis but I could find any other medical studies.

It's a Godsend for me.
  • LacieLamp
    LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
    Hi, I'm a vet tech and the vet I work for highly recommends glucosamine but there are many different brands of glucosamine out there and alot of them are nothing more than a sugar pill the brand he recommends and uses on himself is "Cosamin" (sp?) its sold at drug store like Walgreens and it pretty expensive (around $70 a bottle) but I know that it works well for him. Keep in mind it will take about two months of everyday usage to see a difference. Alot of people will take it for a couple of weeks and just quit because they don't see any improvments, it takes longer than that. Our German shepherd has grade 7 hip dysplasia (the worst it can be) and he takes the canine version of the pill (cosequin) and it seems to have helped him tremendously! I hope this helped and good luck!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Hi, I'm a vet tech and the vet I work for highly recommends glucosamine but there are many different brands of glucosamine out there and alot of them are nothing more than a sugar pill the brand he recommends and uses on himself is "Cosamin" (sp?) its sold at drug store like Walgreens and it pretty expensive (around $70 a bottle) but I know that it works well for him. Keep in mind it will take about two months of everyday usage to see a difference. Alot of people will take it for a couple of weeks and just quit because they don't see any improvments, it takes longer than that. Our German shepherd has grade 7 hip dysplasia (the worst it can be) and he takes the canine version of the pill (cosequin) and it seems to have helped him tremendously! I hope this helped and good luck!

Exactly. Highly recommended by Veterinarians for animals with arthiritis and most athletic trainers/physical therapists (basically anyone in sports medicine) for humans. It is one of those where you get what you pay for though so do some independant research, or better yet look for the Consumers reports article and get a bottle of the worthy stuff.
  • tnkhart
    tnkhart Posts: 72 Member
    Sounds great. Thank you all for some wonderful info!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Check out some of the info available online. I thought it would work on my arthritis in my knees. Turns out I was allergic to one of the sea products used in the manufacture of most of the glucosamine products on the market. Losing weight has helped the most of anything I have tried.
  • LacieLamp
    LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
    Yes Glucosamine is a deritive of shell fish so if your allergic to shell fish probably not a good idea....
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    I had ITBS as well and major Knee problems last year (I am a runner) I bought compression sleeves and was fit for running shoes at a Run Shoppe. This helped my shin splints but not the knee and ITBS issues. Strength training, stretching and Glucosamine Chondroitin has helped me TREMEendously the last few months I have been pain free!!!! The only time I feel a slight crick in my knees are during speed workouts which is normal and they are fine the next day. I take 2 Publix Extra strength pills. I went there and compared all the ones on the shelf there were about 10 different brands and Publix was the lucky winner. You MUST take it every day for it to work and yes it does take 4-6 weeks to start kicking in. You need to rest your knees for them to heel first as well. I had to take an entire month off running for mine to heel correctly and take the supplement and am so happy I did!