Abs???

Options
I read somewhere that if you have a high body fat % it's pointless to do an exercises until you loose some weight any opinions. Most abs exercises are hard for me to perform

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rubbish. Regardless of your weight (unless it causes injuries) you should exercise for you'd health.

Ab exercises aren't overly necessary anyway
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Abs can be built by some without having to do abdominal exercises. Compound lifts and moves that require you to brace your core will help build a firm foundation. I have added a little bit of ab work now that I can see my abs to try to build volume in lagging areas.

ETA: You should add in exercise from the beginning of weight loss for health reasons. Lifting weights along the way will do wonders for your body composition and showing those abs.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Rubbish. Regardless of your weight (unless it causes injuries) you should exercise for you'd health.

Ab exercises aren't overly necessary anyway

I think that's a typo and OP meant it's pointless to do 'ab' exercises, not 'an' exercises.

OP, it's definitely pointless if your goal is to have visible abs or shrink your middle faster. If your goal is to strengthen your core, than it is not pointless at all though I'd recommend picking compound exercises that hit more than just your core. More bang for the buck.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,165 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises will not make the fat that covers you abs disappear any quicker. However, a good full body weigh program that focuses on compound lifts (squat, bench press, rows, deadlifts, and the like) will not only help you over all body composition while you lose fat, but it will make sure there are abs to see when you get the fat levels down. In other words, exercise is not rubbish.
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I didn't see ab definition until I lost weight however, with that being said, exercises that strengthen the core are a good thing. I've always had a weak core and coupled with high arches, it made walking (more than 30 min) miserable for me because that combo put strain on my knees and lower back. I've been doing workouts that incorporate using my core more and it's helped my overall health.

• djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It wont be pointless but it wont help much depending on your weight. When i started losing weight at 300lbs i did primarily cardio til i got down to 245, then i started incorporating abs and pushups. Now that i am at 210lbs i got visible abs and still have 10lb til my goal which they should be even more visible.

When you do start doing abs make sure you can do them correctly without any trouble beside the muscles burning. Do them consistently with your other exercises and diet then you should be rocking. They do however take sometime to come in.
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Compounds and isolation ab exercises will make you stronger and once the fat does melt away you'll look all the more impressive for it.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    A strong core is ALWAYS a good thing. Visable abs are all about body fat % and to a lesser degree the size of your ab muscles. So work your core now for health and body stability and that will translate to bigger better 6 pack later when you have dropped the body fat.