Will you see results working out 30 minutes a day?

Options
I have been working out 30 mins a day on average. Like 5 days a week. A mix of cardio and strength training. Would it be better to up it to one hour? I live a lightly active lifestyle, and currently consuming 1700 cals to lose 1 pound of fat a week

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Any time you expend more calories than you intake you will see results. The longer you workout the faster and more drastic the change will become.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I did p90x3 which is 30 minutes 5/6 days a week and got great results
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You may see results with increased resistance in that 30 minutes. Otherwise you may be maintaining. Keep it challenging/progressive if you want to see change.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    What kind of results?

Right now I'm training for a time trial series so most of my rides are right about 30 minutes at threshold...I've seen great improvements in my ability to work at threshold and my threshold is going up...those are the results I'd expect and look for in my case...

If you're talking about weight loss, that's more about your diet...you can exercise for two hours but if you eat to a maintenance level of energy you're going to maintain irrespective of your exercise.
  • andrektan
    andrektan Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you're using that time wisely, then you'll definitely see results. If you feel like you want more and have the time, an hour would be even better, of course.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It ultimately comes down to your calorie intake being smaller than your calorie output. There are many more variables to this than just the amount of time you work out.
  • Loveedove1
    Loveedove1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What kind of results?

Right now I'm training for a time trial series so most of my rides are right about 30 minutes at threshold...I've seen great improvements in my ability to work at threshold and my threshold is going up...those are the results I'd expect and look for in my case...

If you're talking about weight loss, that's more about your diet...you can exercise for two hours but if you eat to a maintenance level of energy you're going to maintain irrespective of your exercise.

My ultimate goal is weight loss, and toning. I want to lose weight, and I know that is just according to my calorie deficit. Didn't know if an hour would speed up the process, or if it will help me be more toned when the weight is finally off. I just don't want to be doing 30 minutes if it isn't benefiting me as much. Especially since i have been working out for about a year
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    What kind of results?

Exactly. Length of time spent working out is much less important than the amount of calories you take in. After you have that part accurate then focus on quality over quantity. If you feel up to working out for an hour, then go ahead. But make it count. Same applies to the 30 min. workout. Work harder in less time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What kind of results?

My ultimate goal is weight loss, and toning. I want to lose weight, and I know that is just according to my calorie deficit. Didn't know if an hour would speed up the process, or if it will help me be more toned when the weight is finally off. I just don't want to be doing 30 minutes if it isn't benefiting me as much. Especially since i have been working out for about a year

Increasing the amount of exercise without increasing your food intake will, most likely, accelerate your weight loss (you're increasing the caloric deficit) however this may result in diminishing returns as exercise at a reasonable level of intensity requires fuel and by increasing your caloric deficit you may just find yourself working out longer at a lower intensity which defeats the purpose (or just dragging your butt after a few days....)
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing in that 30 minutes and how much you are eating
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What kind of results?

Increasing the amount of exercise without increasing your food intake will, most likely, accelerate your weight loss (you're increasing the caloric deficit) however this may result in diminishing returns as exercise at a reasonable level of intensity requires fuel and by increasing your caloric deficit you may just find yourself working out longer at a lower intensity which defeats the purpose (or just dragging your butt after a few days....)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTfFJtkgMzibSzJ2n_C979sESUBNBbGFmA8qwEs47LmWFr5xuc

And I'd also add...and this was just my personal experience...but when I was losing weight I had the greatest amount of success just sticking to a modest calorie deficit in my diet and doing a moderate amount of exercise. I remember training for my first century ride and actually gaining weight...my body wouldn't not let me eat...if I didn't eat, I didn't perform and had recovery issues...and believe me, my body let me know it needed food...yes, I did overdo it a bit because I felt like I could eat anything and maintain given the miles I was putting in...but it was much easier to manage my calories when I was just exercising moderately.

I'm having the same issue with my training now...I'm more experienced now so I know how to handle it better...but actual training makes me want to eat the whole house...and then the neighbors house....
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The one issue with training over 30 minutes is that if you aren't actually up to it you end up backing off a bit on the effort to save yourself and complete the additional time. That might actually be less productive. Add to that, if your five days a week are all all you can do you may have recovery issues that reduce the all you can do. More isn't always better.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is to gauge how you feel at the end of 30 minutes. If you feel like you've pushed yourself well, then stop. If you feel like you want/need more, then go for a little longer.

For sustainability purposes, there's no point in pushing to the point that you burn out, but you also want to challenge yourself and test your limitations. It's a fine line, and that line is different for each of us.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Working out as with most things in life, quality over quantity always!