Cardio???

Options
B4 or after weight training, or early morning. Currently doing a 4 day split how often should I implement hit?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I do weights before cardio...if I do cardio first I find that my lifting performance is not as good.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,222 Member
    Options
    HIIT and Cardio are not really the same. HIIT is very intense interval training over a short period of time which can improve cardiovascular health. Cardio is generally steady state for fairly long periods of time.

As to when to do them, either one days you are not lifting, or after lifting, definitely not before.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    As to when to do them, either one days you are not lifting, or after lifting, definitely not before.

I'm curious to your reasoning. Over the colder months when I turn into Gym Rat I go to the gym run 2.0-2.5 miles on the treadmill then do my weights then cool down on a stationary bike, or elliptical. Why do them in order.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »

I'm curious to your reasoning. Over the colder months when I turn into Gym Rat I go to the gym run 2.0-2.5 miles on the treadmill then do my weights then cool down on a stationary bike, or elliptical. Why do them in order.

Heavy lifting is something that requires a lot of energy, not just in terms of physical energy, but also in terms of the functioning of the central nervous system. Cardio/HIIT deplete that reducing the ability to lift heavy effectively. I tend to do some type of bodyweight exercise focused warm-up for 3-5 minutes, then lift, then perhaps doing cardio or HIIT afterward. If I do it the other way, I can't focus on my lifts the same and the results are not the same.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    run 2.0-2.5 miles on the treadmill

I'd see that as a warm up, rather than a CV session though
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    run 2.0-2.5 miles on the treadmill

I'd see that as a warm up, rather than a CV session though

I agree. But cardio is cardio. I was always told to get your HR up before lifting.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    meazy6784 wrote: »
    B4 or after weight training, or early morning. Currently doing a 4 day split how often should I implement hit?

Why not do both? It's not a Sophie's Choice after all. I workout 6 days a week, 3 strength days and 3 cardio days, alternating the two throughout the week.

I know I see some people who talk about "I'm going to do cardio until I lose X pounds, then I'm going to add some muscle", which appears to be complete backwards thinking.

So, do both, mix it up. The diversity might make your workout more interesting and you'll want to continue it. That's what it's actually all about.......what can you do, and what can you do consistently (without burning out or getting bored).

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Alternate days for me - when I do something I like to focus on it properly.
    I dislike early morning cardio or weights and perform much better later in the day - other's experience will be different.

But for 90% of people it comes down to personal choice, goals, priority and workout intensity. That you do "it" is more important than when or in what order.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I only do cardio and weights on the same day a couple days per week and I split them up...ride in the AM and lift in the PM. I'm training for a time trial series right now, so I need to be able to put my everything into each training bout, both on the bike and in the weight room. Right now I'm only lifting 2x per week as my focus is training for the races.

As a matter of general principal I wouldn't want to get under a heavy barbell after a solid cardio session...conversely, I would think my cardio session would be less than solid after a kick *kitten* bout in the weight room.
  • rileysowner
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been lifting first and I notice I can do more reps and I hv more energy, but I think it's up to the individual, whatever you prefer.
    I've done both and I don't think it matters, just personal preference.