Meatless Taco Meat

Options
I love taco salad but when I want it I usually want it now. So I've devised a little low cal meatless version that I love more that the meat version now.

Instead of browning burger and adding a taco seasoning packet I now open a can of kidney beans and drain them, put them in a reusable lidded container and sprinkle them with taco seasoning. I have been using the same seasoning packet for months. It only takes a tiny amount, the beans don't absord the seasoning the way meats do.

I like to pile the beans on a salad and add a little FF sourcream and salsa, or I sometimes put them in lowfat tortillas with light cheese and make quesadillas. They also work for real tacos and are really good on nachos.

Beans are a very good source of protein and fiber. I've found this is a very easy way to cut the calories out of some of the "bad" foods I really enjoy.

Replies

• ajanieva
    Options
    I love taco salad but when I want it I usually want it now. So I've devised a little low cal meatless version that I love more that the meat version now.

Instead of browning burger and adding a taco seasoning packet I now open a can of kidney beans and drain them, put them in a reusable lidded container and sprinkle them with taco seasoning. I have been using the same seasoning packet for months. It only takes a tiny amount, the beans don't absord the seasoning the way meats do.

I like to pile the beans on a salad and add a little FF sourcream and salsa, or I sometimes put them in lowfat tortillas with light cheese and make quesadillas. They also work for real tacos and are really good on nachos.

Beans are a very good source of protein and fiber. I've found this is a very easy way to cut the calories out of some of the "bad" foods I really enjoy.
  • sugarpie
    Options
    Hey,sounds good. I am a vegetarian and I love chilli. I make it with Bush's Chilli Magic and add a small can of tomato sauce,chopped onion and chopped pepper,then I add MorningStar Farms hamburg crumbles. They are made from soy,no meat and are fantastic. You can not tell the difference. Give it a try. Enjoy.:drinker:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Other options are SmartGround (there is a taco variety which is quite good), Gimmie Lean, and both Morning Star and Boca make meatless crumbles. All of them work great :)

Try mixing in some rice!
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I make black bean tacos on a regular basis! Vegetarian and super fast! One 15oz can of black beans, the juice of one lime and a palmful of fresh cilantro makes about 6 tacos - perfect for 3 people!!!
  • sna269
    sna269 Posts: 15
    Options
    Great Ideas!

:bigsmile: