Need Fiber

Options
I am trying to keep up my fiber intake, what are the best things to eat for that? Thanks!

Replies

• joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    FRUITS AND VEGGIES... google high fibre foods! there's lists and lists out there.
  • Jaceeka
    Jaceeka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with pp--fruits and veggies. Celery is high in fiber if that's one you tend to snack on. I have watched fiber for a long time (from being and off/on again ww member). I've find that I do way better with naturally occuring fiber products than fiber added ones. :)
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    also some cereals have high fibre. just check as some also have high sugar.
  • AJelinski
    AJelinski Posts: 36
    Options
    The original "Fibre One Cereal." Looks like rabbit food, but tastes pretty good (naturally sweet). I mix one serving with Greek yogurt and some fruit for breakfast. The cereal alone give you 35% of daily needs and by mixing it with the yogurt I save 130 calories I would have used by using milk. The Greek yogurt is also loaded with protein.
  • JDM11Q
    JDM11Q Posts: 3
    Options
    Also - Fiber One Multigrain bread has 6g of fiber per slice. Looks like one sandwich would be over 50% of your daily need.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I like fiber one bars and Joseph's oat bran flax seed pita bread. The pita bread is low carb too.

And as others have said fruits and veggies.

With any additional fiber be sure to drink a LOT of water. When I eat the fiber one bars, I can tell if I haven't drank enough water because I get really bad stomach cramps.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There is a Fiber One that has 51% (13 grams for one cup of cereal). It is the honey clusters version.

Also -- blackberries are the highest fruit out there. I think 8 grams for one cup. Yum!

Check out the "Full Plate Diet". There is an electronic book available (for free) on their website. It is all about eating high fiber and tells you how to increase your fiber on a daily basis. We found it VERY helpful!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Apples, broccoli, oranges... also I like the Fiber One granola bars, but they will jack up your sugar.
  • ronchap
    ronchap Posts: 60
    Options
    vita muffin deep chocolate
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    Beans!!
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    Psyllium husks - they are 80% fibre. I add a few teaspoons to my muesli or yoghurt.

Chia seeds are good too and are high in antioxidents and protein. Apples. Pears. Raspberries. Dried figs or dates. Pumpkin and sweetpotato. Grainy breads, wraps or crackers.
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! Also barley. I eat it like rice or quinoa. It's also delicious.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The Original Fiber One Cereal (bran) - 14 grams of fiber and 60 cals per serving (1/2 cup) - use Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened instead of milk or fat free milk and breakfast is done and filling! (I have 2 servings of fiber one and 1 cup Silk = 155 cals)

I also add Shiloh Farms Unprocessed Bran to ground meats when I am making burgers or meatloaf or meatballs. Doesn't change the taste but if you add one or two servings you add 8-16 grams of fiber to the meal and then divide by the number of servings. Everything helps.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Naturally fibrous foods are best. Almost all fruits and vegetables have fiber in them. Look up "High fiber fruits and vegetables" for a good list. Raspberries is the highest fiber fruit I believe. Not sure about vegetables.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Fiberplus bars....I swear the Caramel Coconut Fudge ones taste just like the Girl Scout Cookies. I also eat berries, Fiber One Honey Clusters, ground flax, wheat buns and wheat pitas to add more fiber.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup all bran buds with a touch of milk in the morning with breakfast. Has helped me TONS
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Beans beans the magical fruit. I like to buy a bag of dry black beans and cook them myself, mixed with some brown rice and salsa. Canned beans have a TON of sodium. Booo!

And lentils are high in fiber and protein, too. I like mixing some of them in with brown rice, too. Takes about the same time as the rice.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I never seem to get enough fiber in my diet, even if I eat fruits and veggies all day. I've had digestive problems since I was a little kid, and I always have to take some sort of powder fiber. But right now I'm drinking the Total Lean Shakes, and well, they have made me quite regular! Just be careful with fiber bars! I tried them and they never helped me get regular, just gassy! LOL! Try different things and you'll find something that works for your body =] Good Luck!
  • vitamina19
    vitamina19 Posts: 30
    Options
    Beans.