Rule of carbs

Options
_Jessica_
_Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
If you are trying to heat a low carb diet, what is considered low carb for a day? What are the parameters I should be trying to stay within?

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    from what I heard is 20g is very low carb, 50g is low carb. Net carbs that is.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I did this for the last week. I have stayed with in 40 - 60 per day (although this is only for 2 weeks then I will gradually increase) I weighed in this morning and lost 3.8lbs!
    I ate regular meals and snacks and averaged 1800 calories ish.

Hope this helps x
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I did this for the last week. I have stayed with in 40 - 60 per day (although this is only for 2 weeks then I will gradually increase) I weighed in this morning and lost 3.8lbs!

Hope this helps x

I think I will try this! Thanks!!!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options

Hope this helps x
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's water weight... For every gram of carbs stored in the liver there's 3 grams of water. So if there's no carbs, there's no water... Been there, done that :frown:
  • jaycee76
    Options

Hope this helps x
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's water weight... For every gram of carbs stored in the liver there's 3 grams of water. So if there's no carbs, there's no water... Been there, done that :frown:

Maybe so. But the fact that I have been calorie counting for the last 2 years and recently stopped losing must mean I gained alot of water weight while calorie controlling then yes?

I have no doubt some of it will be water, but the same thing happens to everyone in the first few weeks of a new diet (including calorie control) so does that mean know one loses weight other than water in the first few weeks in a change to diet?

I have lowered my carbs so I can reduce my high dependance on carbs. I am not saying this is right for everyone but I think its fair to give it a shot. It may work for me, just because it did not for you!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carbs. I prefer moderate carbs. This is typically recognized as 100-150 grams per day. I would assume that anything below 100 is "low carb."

I did stick to a low carb diet for about a month a couple years back...but at the end of that month, even though I was lighter, I just didn't have enough energy to keep doing the same exercises that I wanted to do, so I had to cut out the low carb thing. But I think it's just another tool to have to help break plateaus. I prefer more balanced for long term success, which is why I do moderate carb while not on a plateau.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    Options

Hope this helps x

Maybe so. But the fact that I have been calorie counting for the last 2 years and recently stopped losing must mean I gained alot of water weight while calorie controlling then yes?

I have no doubt some of it will be water, but the same thing happens to everyone in the first few weeks of a new diet (including calorie control) so does that mean know one loses weight other than water in the first few weeks in a change to diet?

I have lowered my carbs so I can reduce my high dependance on carbs. I am not saying this is right for everyone but I think its fair to give it a shot. It may work for me, just because it did not for you!
    Oh, it did work for me! I lost 15lbs while on Atkins :), but first 5-6 was def water weight. You just need to get through the initial stage of water loss to get to fat loss stage, and that's where most of people quit. I did it for nearly 2 months and have had enough to last me a lifetime. So back to counting calories, looking forward to porridge for lunch :)
    If you have enough will power to go low carb, it def works. It's just very hard if you are a carb addict, like me.
    Good luck to you! :)
  • pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks for peoples post back on carbs. I used to hate Cards before I acutally knew anything out weight loss and how the body works. They aren't bad!! We need them
  • asc81
    asc81 Posts: 8
    Options
    Is it just me, or does it just make zero sense to talk about daily intake of carbs in grams? We're not the same height og sizes and therefore don't have the same calorie count. Wouldn't it make more sense to talk about the procentage?

Fx. because of my height (or lack thereof :laugh: ) I have to stay under 1150 net calories per day if I want to lose weight. So to compare that with someone that can do 1800 net calories doesn't make sense in my book. Or am I missing something? :ohwell:
  • jaycee76
    Options
    Is it just me, or does it just make zero sense to talk about daily intake of carbs in grams? We're not the same height og sizes and therefore don't have the same calorie count. Wouldn't it make more sense to talk about the procentage?

Fx. because of my height (or lack thereof :laugh: ) I have to stay under 1150 net calories per day if I want to lose weight. So to compare that with someone that can do 1800 net calories doesn't make sense in my book. Or am I missing something? :ohwell:

I am 5ft 4 inches and 146lbs and my calorie intake was 1200 before I increased it. But no it does not make sense for everyone to do the same thing.
    I always say there are no one size diets or we would all do the same. Different things work for different people.

I am not advocating what I am currently doing, all I have added is my results for this week on a LOW carb 1800 calorie diet. And who is to say that by my next weigh in I have gained it back and more besides! 1200 calories stopped working for me and probably because I was having too many carbs for me. If I went below 1200 like you then I can guarantee everyone would be shouting "starvation mode".

We are all individuals and what works for one will not work for all. Fantastic if you find a way that works for you, then stick to it. But it does not mean that others are wrong in what they do.
  • asc81
    asc81 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am not advocating what I am currently doing, all I have added is my results for this week on a LOW carb 1800 calorie diet. And who is to say that by my next weigh in I have gained it back and more besides! 1200 calories stopped working for me and probably because I was having too many carbs for me. If I went below 1200 like you then I can guarantee everyone would be shouting "starvation mode".

We are all individuals and what works for one will not work for all. Fantastic if you find a way that works for you, then stick to it. But it does not mean that others are wrong in what they do.

I wasn't disagreeing with you - quite the opposite actually :smile: Just wondering out loud. I'm 4ft 9 inches. Every time I start to eat too many carbs it shows instantly, so I try to minimize it.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm just learning the % and ratios too though have been low carb for about a month. Apparently under 30g gives you ketosis, which many others can advise on - basically burning fat instead of glucose I think. Some think it's good, some bad, you decide. Under 50g is supposed to be excellent weight loss, under 100g 'effortless' but they'll depend on individuals. Like I said, I'm just learning too.

I'm not going to say low-carb is good or bad, but for me, a carb-addict, it's good. And for me, someone who clings to her fat (well, vice versa) it's coming off at a 'normal' (ie 2lb a week or so - in the past it took me 2 years to shift 4 stone doing it normally) pace. Ideally, I'd do it the traditional way but I know I can't be trusted to stop at 2 slices of toast, or whatever, and I know that I feel fuller with my calories in protein than the same calories in protein/carbs.

It'll be tweaking to what suits you, as I'm still doing. Good luck! And I'm 5' 1" so I'm short too.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Many trainers and personal fitness experts in my area advise to alternate carbs. No carb days, low carb days, anything you want carb days. Not necessarily in that order either. Then I've heard advice on when during the day you should eat the carbs as well. Baiscally, consume your carbs early in the day. But as others have mentioned in this thread of post, each of us is different and carbs affect each of us differently. Me personally, I'm sensetive to carbs and can't go overboard on consuming them but you may be different. And it's correct that we need some carbs, especially if yoour very active. You just have to figure out what works for you, goood luck.
  • watrmlon
    watrmlon Posts: 34
    Options
    I stick to less than 100g of carbs a day. Usually i'm 60-80 grams