Protein goal seems impossible

Options
Hi. I have been working with a nutrition coach for a few months. The protein goal he has me attempting to reach daily seems crazy hard, especially since carbs are cutting back, too. Need help. Goal is 160 protein grams per day. Carbs 120 or less daily. Sad face.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Where did he get that goal from? .8-1 gram per pound of lean body mass should be good enough.
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ostrim
    Quest bars
    Steak
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Low carb tortillas
    Salads
    Cheese
    Oh there are tons more idea out there on fb and google and groups in here. :)
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My diary's open, if you want more ideas... (my goals - 153 g protein, 68 g carbs before additional exercise calories)

Cottage cheese, tuna, Greek yogurt, eggs, protein powder are all your friends. To keep my carbs low, I limit myself to one piece of fruit max per day, maybe none. Cauliflower or zoodles for pasta. Lettuce wraps for bread. I use sugar free syrup or stevia in my coffee, never added sugar. Once you get some things in place, it becomes easier :)
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Low carb protein powders are your friends, I like VPX Zero Carb SRO - Serious Chocolate
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    My diary's open, if you want more ideas... (my goals - 153 g protein, 68 g carbs before additional exercise calories)

Cottage cheese, tuna, Greek yogurt, eggs, protein powder are all your friends. To keep my carbs low, I limit myself to one piece of fruit max per day, maybe none. Cauliflower or zoodles for pasta. Lettuce wraps for bread. I use sugar free syrup or stevia in my coffee, never added sugar. Once you get some things in place, it becomes easier :)
    One piece of fruit a day to keep carbs low? Wow.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    That's about what I do. I eat protein with every meal. Even protein powder in my coffee if I'm not eating food. Tuna, lunch meat, shrimp for lunch. Protein afternoon snack, usually a bar. A meat with dinner. Protein desserts, a shake or high protein ice cream. Easy.
  • arditarose
    Options

So what? I rarely eat fruit as well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

So what? I rarely eat fruit as well.

Me neither.

@redraidergirl2009 Not everyone loves or needs carbs like you do. We are all different and have individual needs.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    cprswank wrote: »
    Hi. I have been working with a nutrition coach for a few months. The protein goal he has me attempting to reach daily seems crazy hard, especially since carbs are cutting back, too. Need help. Goal is 160 protein grams per day. Carbs 120 or less daily. Sad face.

I find protein the easiest to go over on. Look at fage0% yoghurts as they have 17g in just one pot. Also chicken is a brilliant protein source with around 28g per 100g cooked. Reduced fat cottage cheese also if you are trying to avoid too much fat
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    160g seems way overkill for a woman.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Another voice to the rarely eats fruit brigade.

Most days I don't eat fruit. When I do it's usually berries of some sort, less frequently a banana.

• Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Why is that odd? Many days I eat zero fruit, I prefer vegetables.

Many good suggestions for protein above. I generally have meat at every meal so that gets my numbers up. Greek yogurt, protein powder, cottage cheese are diet mainstays as well.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »

Many good suggestions for protein above. I generally have meat at every meal so that gets my numbers up. Greek yogurt, protein powder, cottage cheese are diet mainstays as well.

I just never viewed fruit as bad.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That goal should come with a concrete diet plan that is tailored to suit your taste and schedule. If not, you've been ripped off. I'd like to say you've been scammed anyway. Unless you have a medical issue that interferes with diet or will be interfered by diet, eating to improve health isn't that complicated. Set up MFP to your weight goal (loss, gain, maintenance), set your protein goal to 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass, fat to the half of that, and the rest carbs. Weigh your food, log it, and aim to hit them all, regarding protein and fat as minimums.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    cprswank wrote: »

Why are you working with this nutrition coach?
    If this way of eating makes you sad and you have trouble meeting these goals it doesn't sound very sustainable for you.
    Why not just go with the protein and carbs MFP reccomends for you a ditch the coach ?

Other than that eat more meat, seafood, beans, lentils, peas, cheese, Greek yogurt, milk, eggs, nuts, seeds
  • arditarose
    Options

I don't view it as bad either. But I really do run better and look better on lower carb (my body fat% is getting lower and carbs bloat me). Eating a lot of fruit is definitely a way to hike up your carbs. Carbs aside, I actually find fruit to be not that low calorie, and at the same time NOT filling. Different strokes.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

It's not, but obviously if it interferes with your goals, you avoid it. Sugar is sugar. If you don't have a lot of room in your diet for sugar, avoiding fruit isn't a bad way to go.
  • dprisinger
    dprisinger Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    2 servings of grilled fish (I like white bass- easy to catch and plentiful) have only 7 carbs, but give you 51 grams of protein!