Having trouble eating recommended calories

Options
I usually do very well, but I have been eating a couple hundred or less calories above my 1700 limit. I want to be able to lose weight effectively, but I just can't seem to stay within my limit! Anybody know of any ways to help me stay on track?

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Go for a walk :) it always covers my overages.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Go for a walk :) it always covers my overages.

I do this sometimes, too, or I'll fire up my Zumba playlist on my iPod and just jam for awhile. Dancing burns it off quickly, and I love doing it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 several days out of the week (I cycle calories) and I'm sticking to it ok in fact its been a little too easy, it makes me nervous:).

The trick for me has been Quest protein bars in between meals, sometimes I have the whole most times half a bar.

The extra protein really helps me not get so hungry and I also try to have protein with every meal except maybe breakfast.

Hope that helps!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Compare the days you are able to stay on goal to the days you aren't. What's different? Is there an obvious difference in your carbs, protein, or fat? Is there a specific food or meal that jumps out at you? Maybe you will see aa pattern that you can learn from.

Try pre-logging your day. I find when I pre-log, I am less likely to eat off plan since I'm not choosing what to eat when I'm hungry. I try to pre log my day, leaving myself around 150-200 calories for a late night snack.

Making sure I got more protein really helped me feel more satiated on the correct calories, but satiety is really personal so you kind of have to play around with it and find out what works for you.

Good luck!
  • kadybug97
    kadybug97 Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Are you just beginning your journey? If so, don't stress that you are going slightly over on calories. Take baby steps and be patient. :) When I first started, I just focused on measuring out my food and eating healthier foods, not just foods that fit in my calorie goal range. Then, once I became good at that, I started making sure I was in a deficit and found a macro split to follow.

How often are you eating? I'm the type of person that loves to eat constantly throughout the day - I'm always thinking about food and my next meal! Lol. If you're the same way, try eating 6 small meals per day. Breakfast is my least favorite meal of the day, but I truly believes it sets the tone for the rest of the day. I'll eat 3 eggs and a bowl of mixed fruit. Also, be sure to plan your meals the night before! That way it's easier to stay on track. If you happen to be hungry after eating up all your calories, munch on celery or watermelon:) they will fill you up fast since they have a lot of water in them
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I find that pre-logging helps me stay within my calorie goals and shows roughly how much I eat per meal.
    Also I try to fill up on lower calorie foods - cottage cheese, salads, veggies, fruit, beans/ lentils etc. this helps keep me full for a small amount of calories.
    I try to keep to the same meal each morning and lunch during work days, this means I have a routine and a system and logging is easier, and I know what I eat will keep me full till a specific time.

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Look at your diary. Is there something that can be cut, reduced or switched?

For example, I won't notice if I have 90g instead of 100g (dry) pasta. I won't notice if I have skim milk instead of full. If I don't eat that donut that was offered this morning, that's okay too.