Fitbit accuracy

Options
How accurate is the fitbit Blaze's heart rate monitor and calories burned ( at rest and more importantly , during workouts) ? Is it reliable??

Replies

• bmarie1920981
    bmarie1920981 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I actually originally bought my Fitbit blaze because I had a heart issue scare. I've worn it through 2 echocardiograms and each time the heart rate was spot on or was only maybe 3beats off at one point
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    How accurate is the fitbit Blaze's heart rate monitor and calories burned ( at rest and more importantly , during workouts) ? Is it reliable??

In terms of HR monitoring it's reasonable in the low and mid range, with decreasing accuracy in the higher range.

In terms of calorie estimation, that depends on the kind of activities you do. For steady state, aerobic range activity it's as reasonable as many other options. If you're not doing steady state then accuracy is inconsistent and unpredictable.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

In terms of HR monitoring it's reasonable in the low and mid range, with decreasing accuracy in the higher range.

In terms of calorie estimation, that depends on the kind of activities you do. For steady state, aerobic range activity it's as reasonable as many other options. If you're not doing steady state then accuracy is inconsistent and unpredictable.

Oh thanks :) What do you mean by 'steady state'?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks :) What do you mean by 'steady state'?

Broadly something that maintains a constant HR or has smooth, slow transitions.

For me I'll use HR data for a run of up to an hour, after that it starts to break down a bit. For sprint intervals I wouldn't consider it reliable at all. For walking HR is to low to be representative.