anyone know anything about Tai-Chi?

Options
i have seen a dvd on ebay and i am thinking of buying it, i find it very hard to relax, so thought this might be good for me, its looks so good when someone is doing all the moves in sequence

i usually do my elliptical for 30-40 mins 3 times a week and just got a exercise dvd that i will be doing 3 times a week for 30 mins also

would tai chi be a good way to relax and exercise at the same time? :tongue:

suggestions? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i have seen a dvd on ebay and i am thinking of buying it, i find it very hard to relax, so thought this might be good for me, its looks so good when someone is doing all the moves in sequence

i usually do my elliptical for 30-40 mins 3 times a week and just got a exercise dvd that i will be doing 3 times a week for 30 mins also

would tai chi be a good way to relax and exercise at the same time? :tongue:

suggestions? :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    It is a good way to stretch and work on your balance. My husband and I took a class in it and we really enjoyed it.

You might want to look into qi gong ( pronounced Chi Kong) as the movements in that are very relaxing and you breathe deeply through the whole thing!
  • VardaElentari
    Options
    I would recommend trying it if you can! I am not very familiar with Tai Chi, but I have been practicing Yoga since it's fairly easy to find free Yoga resources on the web (podcasts, websites, etc). I have signed up for the Tai Chi class at my local community college for multiple years in a row but there just aren't very many people interested because the class ends up being canceled every semester. Do it if you get a chance!!!
  • bowl2159
    Options
    tai chi is a wonderful way to regain focus and awareness. It is energizing and relaxing at the same time. The movements can be complex to learn, but the short form only takes 10 minutes or so once you know the routine. As with yoga, breathing is key. Also pay close attention to where you are supposed to look. During "wave hands like clouds" you watch the clouds and focus on the hand movements.

If you have a chance to join a group and get a live instructor, do so!

good luck with it!
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I took tai-chi as my 'gym' in college.

I took it cause I didn't want to move - so for an effective exercise not so much.
    For relaxing maybe.

I find yoga more relaxing!