Fitbit Charge HR

Options
Would anyone recommend this?

Replies

• SpencerGT
    SpencerGT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Short answer, overall Yes. Longer answer, the biggest issue I had was the accuracy of the heart rate monitor, but this was similar to other optical type HR sensors, so if you are not looking for precision HR monitoring this is a great device with a lot of nice features. Take some time to understand the settings and app, turn off the features you don't need and don't set too many alarms, this will greatly extend the battery life. I liked being able to see my activity level and have it notify me when I hit my activity goals for the day. Definitely better than just tracking steps alone. If you end of wanting to track your HR on a more pro level look into a chest strap type of HR monitor like the wahoo fitness tickr, which I use with various apps including Strava for cycling/mtn biking.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved the device and found it to be very helpful and accurate but a few months ago the device refused to sync to my phone anymore after about 6 months of use. Contacted fitbit customer service and after awhile of troubleshooting they stated it was because my device was "not a recommended syncing device" but I had been using it for months and it also would not sync to the desktop or to any other device I attempted, they wouldn't give me a resolution. Very suprising because ive heard amazing things about their customer service but that was my honest experience.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I do. Please know, though, that no device is perfect. I settled on this version because of the constant heart rate monitoring and constant calories burned calculations. Plus, it is soooo much more comfortable to wear than a HRM with chest strap. Feel free to PM me or friend me if you have more questions.
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Olong I just sent you a message
  • OlyCapitalChick
    OlyCapitalChick Posts: 236 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I didn't like it bc anything beyond the fitbit zip seemed to overreport my steps and everyone else steps. After a year of us all checking each other fitbit bits, we all work and hang out together have similiar jobs and afterwork lifestyles...we tried adjusting for strides, carrying multiple devices and using phones to double check? It got annoying that our data was so widespread.
    I will stick with my fitbit zip. I have owned or had access to numerous models (except the newest one that looks like an apple watch).
    Meh. The low budget one works fine for me.
    I figure none of it is completely accurate lol
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    NO fitbit charge devices are not something i recommend. these are just terrible in design.. the hardware (band it self) tears up. Other fitbit devices are fine, husband has an alta (he does not need an HR), i went to garmin and use a soft chest strap HR.. will never buy one in the wrist.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved the device and found it to be very helpful and accurate but a few months ago the device refused to sync to my phone anymore after about 6 months of use. Contacted fitbit customer service and after awhile of troubleshooting they stated it was because my device was "not a recommended syncing device" but I had been using it for months and it also would not sync to the desktop or to any other device I attempted, they wouldn't give me a resolution. Very suprising because ive heard amazing things about their customer service but that was my honest experience.

Do you have your wifi on while trying to sync? I had the same issue but once I turned my phones wifi off it syncs just fine.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I just bought a fitbit hr charge after weighing the pros, cons, reading reviews.. I love it. Its a lot of fun and its gotten me moving more. I had to really mess with the settings to get it as accurate as I can. I also do what fitbit says not to do and that is I wear it around my ankle. I cant stand things on my wrist and when I did try it there, it would count things like stirring, waving, or brushing my hair.
  • oeagleo
    oeagleo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is an issue with those using the newest (6.*) version of Android. Seems "they" (Google) have tweaked the security interface, so that unless you have location services on in your phone, nothing will sync over Bluetooth. This is all over other forums, Garmin, Suunto, etc, so that may be a problem if someone is trying to conserve battery life on their phone, and have the location services turned off. Just a thought.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    CyeRyn wrote: »
    Do you have your wifi on while trying to sync? I had the same issue but once I turned my phones wifi off it syncs just fine.

Yeah I was at work when it stopped working the first time, no wifi. Tried syncing to everything, no luck, got home and got on wifi and still couldn't get anything to work. Tried various times for a few months now and nothing. Its sad because the device still charges and turns on and works but I cant sync it to anything. Sometimes I wear it and manually log the steps in MFP but if I wanted that then I could use a 10 dollar pedometer from sports authority. I love the device a lot but its kinda useless for me now. Im not butthurt but figured Id share my experience nonetheless :)
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the Blaze and like it so far. I just saw a TSV from QVC for the Blaze. Not sure if they have others and how the prices compare though.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've had my Charge HR since February (got it for my bday) and I love it.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I got mine almost two years ago, and I have to say I got super tired of it. I hate the look of it, even the cute colors. I think I just don't like to wear anything, I move and sweat a lot and I'd have to take it off to wipe it down 4 or 5 times a day as the weather heated up and I'm working more.

So just think about it and try it on. the features are cool and all but eventually the inconvenience and discomfort have weighed out any cool info I got. I am not sure it really helped me lose weight because it always gave me extra calories that I would then eat cause why not... but I did slow down my weight loss. Personally I have really enjoyed the whole month of June not wearing it and I am unlikely to start again. if I get a new tracker it will be something less obtrusive. I've never been one to wear a watch even.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Love my Charge HR, I've had it for about a year now. Before that I had a Charge. Works fine for me.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my charge HR. It makes me happy to see progress physically. Between steps, stairs, exercise, and sleep. I love every aspect. I wish it was a little less sweaty under the band and I wish it was waterproof, but other than that I couldn't ask for anything better. :)
  • Cindude
    Cindude Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like mine but I do have an allergy to nickel and the buckle and underside do irritate my skin if I wear it too long. Clear nail polish on the buckle stopped the irritation there but I can't paint the sensors under the device. A phone app will track your steps just as well and there is debate over how accurate the HR monitor really is. I don't count my exercise toward my calorie allotment but if I did I would question the data. I always forget to turn the app on so easier to wear fitbit.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    My charge HR has been working perfect...it took a little while for it to 'get used' to me, but it is on par with every TDEE calculator and MFP. I've had it since December. I get irritation from the band, though.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    My charge HR has been working perfect...it took a little while for it to 'get used' to me, but it is on par with every TDEE calculator and MFP. I've had it since December. I get irritation from the band, though.

I just can't deal with that, why does it have to be so thick? Or at least a more cloth like strap would work for me. I need to shop around for sure.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend returned hers because the HR accuracy was pretty bad. It was accurate enough when she was sitting on the couch, but you don't buy an HRM to be sedentary with. You buy it for exercise purposes, and that's where it fails.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

I just can't deal with that, why does it have to be so thick? Or at least a more cloth like strap would work for me. I need to shop around for sure.

A cloth like strap would be great for me, too since the existing bad really irritates me (and I clean the band and my wrist many times throughout the day. I think I am sensitive to the material the band is made of)....but think about the sweat that would accumulate, unless the cloth strap was pre-treated.