Protein Shakes????

Options
I went to see my doctor for more allergy medicine and while I was there I decided to talk to her about my struggle to lose weight. She suggested switching to a 6 meal a day diet as long as I'm working out! I began this diet last week and lost 1.2 lbs so its obviously working, but its SO MUCH WORK! I spend at least an hour and a half the night before preparing my meals for while I'm at work (4 meals) and entering them into MFP. Someone suggested having protein shakes and bars as two or three of my meals so that is easier to track and there is no preparation. Wanted to see what everyone's opinion was and to see if anyone has a certain brand of protein shakes that you may suggest. Thanks!!!

Replies

• get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I do this when I am working. I do one bar in the morning for a snack and one protein shake in the afternoon. I aim for one with at least 20g of protein or they don't satisfy me. I also look for high fiber and low sugar content. For the shake, I use Premier Protein chocolate flavor that is carried at Costco. Their bars a tad high in calories, though. I try to make each snack about 200 calories, and if I remember right their bars are closer to 3-400. I use either the small size of Pure Protein or Met RX low sugar.

For weekday lunches, I cook up a batch of meat (chicken, pork loin, etc.) and a pot of brown rice. I measure out 1/2 cup of the rice, and my meat. Then all I need to do in the morning is cook up a batch of veggies and add it in and it's like getting a rice bowl, but it's cheaper and better for me. Convenience is important for me in order to stay on track. :smile:
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I like the "Muscle Milk Light" they sell in cases at Costco. They are 8.25oz, 150 Cal, and ready to drink in individual drink boxes so no prep or cleanup.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    No expert but I do love protein shakes. I have one every morning for breakfast, some say you should have a bit of fruit or something with them so check the instructions. Anyway, it is easy for when you are on the go and no need to scarf down a small " meal". Like your doc said you really do have to exercise. I was eating protein bars when I was younger and found out later from a trainer that if you do and do not work out your body will turn it into fat.

That being said not sure where you are but if its on the east coast try Wegmans brand shakes or I liked a Jillian Micheals brand shake from walmart it kept me really full. Also haha, get one of those self stirring cups or water bottles shakes are hard to mix!
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you mean ! I was doing that as well but started drinking ViSalus protein shakes for breakfast and lunch with 2 snacks while at work. Much easier to plan !!!
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    Options
    Getfit2009

Thanks! My problem is that I don't eat very much when I have meals so I'm only eating like 900 calories a day...the 6 meals is to help me attain a higher caloric intake so one of those bars a day might just do the trick in combo with a shake in the morning or something like that!

That sounds like a yummy lunch! I usually just have a small sandwich on a thin wheat round with some baby carrots. I usually can't even finish that before I'm full.
  • porksiopao
    porksiopao Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Matrix Protein is pretty good, mixes easily and tastes great! One scoop has 23 g protein. Also, hard-boiled eggs are great for a quick meal.
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You can use almonds, string cheese, protein bars (I like pure protein), apples, and protein shake fruit smoothies for some meals. I also eat this way, you can check out my diary but you will have to go back prior to Friday because I have been of work since then and due to holidays stuff have not been on schedule.
    I fix my lunch in the mornings befor work and it doesn't take that much time. I measure out 1/4 cup of instant brown rice and 1 1/2 to 2 cups frozen veggies add around 1/4 cup water and some olive oil (1/2 TBSP) and warm in microwave for two minutes. Then I stick my meat ( this I do have prepared beforehand) in the dish and take to work and rewarm at lunchtime. I also eat oatmeal- 1/4 cup dry oatmeal, 1/4 cup canned pumpkin, 1/2 cup almond milk, 2 TBSP ground flax, 1tsp cinnamon. Warm this for 90 seconds and then I add 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder. If I am taking thisto work I just mix everything except the protein powder and then when I am ready to eat it at work I warm it up and then put in the protein powder.
    I really like takins protein fruit smoothies to work as well.
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't replace more than 2 meals with a meal substitute. 1 - they have quite a bit of sugar. 2 - if you go the cheap route they have a LOT of artificial ingredients in them.

Have you heard of Shakeology?? We drink that every day for breakfast. It is super delish and has whole food ingredients ( flax,chia,blueberry,acai,probiotics, spinach among other great things).
    Let me know if you would like a sample.
  • Artistmom
    Artistmom Posts: 8
    Options
    I drink Reliv, so I use the provantage. Reliv is nutrition in powder form and has all the vitamins you might miss on a diet. I am on a lower carbohydrate diet, which works for me. I drink the provantage in the morning for my breakfast. you have to order it online.

I also have tired AMP extreme 60 (but I only use one scoop, that's 20 grams of protein) The shakes fill me up until my next meal.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    I went to see my doctor for more allergy medicine and while I was there I decided to talk to her about my struggle to lose weight. She suggested switching to a 6 meal a day diet as long as I'm working out! I began this diet last week and lost 1.2 lbs so its obviously working, but its SO MUCH WORK! I spend at least an hour and a half the night before preparing my meals for while I'm at work (4 meals) and entering them into MFP. Someone suggested having protein shakes and bars as two or three of my meals so that is easier to track and there is no preparation. Wanted to see what everyone's opinion was and to see if anyone has a certain brand of protein shakes that you may suggest. Thanks!!!

You really don't need to do 6 meals a day, especially if it causes emotional distress in your life. Please ask your doc about the science behind 6 meal a day weight loss. Ask her to show a study where 3 meals vs 6 meals of the same exact calorie amount and type showed greater results for the 6 meal group.
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    Options

You really don't need to do 6 meals a day, especially if it causes emotional distress in your life. Please ask your doc about the science behind 6 meal a day weight loss. Ask her to show a study where 3 meals vs 6 meals of the same exact calorie amount and type showed greater results for the 6 meal group.

The problem was that I was getting full before reaching my calorie goal by just eating three meals a day. I'm working out for an hour every morning and was struggling to eat 900 calories...this usually left me with a net caloric intake of quite a bit less than 600 calories. Her suggestion was to up my caloric intake to 1200 by splitting my meals up. For instance, have an egg in the morning with 1/2 an english muffin (whole wheat) and still have the oatmeal I was having after I got to work but 1/2 the amount with an apple or something. This puts me eating just before I hit the gym at 4am and then every three hours after until dinner. I've been able to get my calories up to 1100-1300 and lost 1.2 lbs in the first week I tried it so something about it works.