Doctor assisted

Options
Is there anyone else who is doing a doctor assisted program?
I had a poopy month, I gained back everything I worked so hard to loose. Not sure how though. I ate the same as I have been, and even started to add weight training and the exercise bike in to my routine. I was only walking for about 30 mins 3x a week.
I felt like crap. The doctor was nasty with me, saying he didn't believe me on what I was eating, blah blah. I told him to check out my heart rate and blood pressure if he wanted proof that I was exercising more. It had gone down dramatically.
Are you having experiences like this?

Replies

• atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't you have classes on cooking and food choices? My program did. I also had to meet with a dietician on a regular basis to review my diet plan. I guess different programs are different. My doctor was real nice, even if my weight stayed the same or if I gained a pound or two. My problem was it was too expensive for me to continue to lose all the weight I needed. I quit after losing 30 lbs but ended up gradually gaining it back. Is your program food only or do you supplement with shakes, soup, etc.?
  • mwoodard82
    mwoodard82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the food was too expensive. It was about $100 a week not covered by insurance. Then you supplement stuff at home in... itlf I were to do that the weekly food budget would have doubled. I would be buying the regular groceries for my husband. I have the nutritionist, and the doctor. I do regular metabolic panels, and a composition test every month. The classes are not offered when I can make them as I work 3rd shift. :-(
    Have to make the best of it I suppose. I really felt defeated. I have been getting the same crap from doctors for years and years about this. After a while of little to no change I give up, because the doctor tells me I am not being truthful with my logs or exercise. I show them the logs, and they still don't believe it. Then they jump on the surgery wagon, and I am not ever going to have the surgery no if's ands or buts. It could flat out kill me. Kidney issues put me into a category of 60/40 chance I die of complications. I won't take that risk.
    After that I get back in my own head thinking about how as a teen I was anorexic, and that's what caused all of this. Then how I hate myself, and just end up depressed. Depressed over weight leads to sabotage and boom your whole month is gone. It takes a while to climb back out of the hole.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    All I can say is get a new doctor. My doc is ridiculously supportive. He knows I can't just change in a day, he was open to listening to my opinions about my plan (he initially said try no carbs with dinner and I refused, he said alrighty!), and when the process of talking about it made me emotional he was supportive and helped me feel like every step is progress and awesome. Your doctor sucks!
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't blame you for not wanting any weight loss surgery. It's not for me either. I've just known too many people who have either had complications or gained at least part of their weight back if not all. And I understand about the depression too because I have depression. Your doctors just don't seem as supportive and helpful as they could be! Your doctor basically said you were lying and that is unprofessional. I don't know if you're able to change doctors but it might be something to consider. Now, as for weight loss. Are you following the calories on MFP? Are you weighing and measuring everything? Are you getting the right nutrition information (a lot of options to pick from so make sure you check the packages/boxes or look it up online). You don't have to exercise a lot to lose weight. Just moving more like the walks you're taking, riding the bike even the weights but you don't have to be an exercising fool. You have to be patient because weight loss is different for everyone. You might not lose 1 pound a week. You might not lose anything for 3 weeks then...boom...you're down a few pounds. It's just the way it works. Don't get discouraged and DON'T give up!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It might take some trial and error to find what works for you exactly because everyone is different but I know YOU CAN DO THIS!!! You have to keep telling yourself that too! With the support from us on MFP, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!