Am I eating too little?

2»

Replies

• st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    GeoBaybee wrote: »
    st476 wrote: »
    21 pounds in 5 weeks means you've been losing 4 pounds a week which is twice as much as the (maximum) recommended amount to lose per week is so yes you should eat more. If you can I don't see why you wouldn't :smile: I wish I could eat more lol

I can't even fathom how that is possible even accounting for a drastic drop in carbs/water weight.
    She would need a 2000 calorie deficit everyday, seems impossible to me for just one day, let alone all 7 days of the week for multiple weeks, but who knows

The math doesn't make sense to me either, which is why I created this post. I'm not lying about my loss, it's a genuine question that I needed advice for because I was surprised to see the scale dropping so fast. I wasn't looking for any hate or criticism. Isn't this supposed to be a place I can come for help without being torn apart by people criticizing or questioning my truth. My doctor did put me on 25 mg Lasix (diuretic) daily to reduce swelling that I've accumulated from having high blood pressure. I am new to this and thought I was doing everything right with the guidance on MFP. Thank you for those that helped me in a kind way with good advice.
    I didn't say you were lying and I wasn't criticizing you! It's just crazy that you're losing so much, I was just saying that I wouldn't be able to do that in a million years haha, I like food too much and I can't make myself exercise enough. Sorry if it came across like I was being rude
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    21 pounds in 5 weeks means you've been losing 4 pounds a week which is twice as much as the (maximum) recommended amount to lose per week is so yes you should eat more. If you can I don't see why you wouldn't :smile: I wish I could eat more lol

I can't even fathom how that is possible even accounting for a drastic drop in carbs/water weight.
    She would need a 2000 calorie deficit everyday, seems impossible to me for just one day, let alone all 7 days of the week for multiple weeks, but who knows

The math doesn't make sense to me either, which is why I created this post. I'm not lying about my loss, it's a genuine question that I needed advice for because I was surprised to see the scale dropping so fast. I wasn't looking for any hate or criticism. Isn't this supposed to be a place I can come for help without being torn apart by people criticizing or questioning my truth. My doctor did put me on 25 mg Lasix (diuretic) daily to reduce swelling that I've accumulated from having high blood pressure. I am new to this and thought I was doing everything right with the guidance on MFP. Thank you for those that helped me in a kind way with good advice.

People are trying to make sense of such a rapid weight loss - the intention is to understand the puzzle.
    It's not hate or calling you a liar. No-one has torn you apart!

You didn't mention the diuretic so people are making the assumption of the approximate usual correlation of 1lb loss = 3500 cals to lose a pound of fat.

Losing a pound of water = zero calories.

Honestly think the best route is to talk to your Doctor not strangers on the internet.

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    You may be OK - was the 161 when you were retaining a lot of water and swollen? Then after that the doctor put you on a diuretic? So your body is carrying less water now? Maybe you had an enormous whoosh - water weighs about 8lb a gallon.

Has your rate of weight loss slowed, was it really fast to start but now going steadily? Do you feel you have enough energy?
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    being on diuretics could explain some of this. Maybe it would be a good idea to go back to your doctor, check your blood pressure again and see what she thinks of you progress? If I were you, I'd slow down to a goal of 1lb. a week and add some strength training if you haven't, losing that fast could mean you are losing muscle mass as well as fat.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Hummm. When I was your age, I had already developed habits that led me down the path to serious obesity. I suggest that you explore the behavior that lead to your weight gain. Have you always been overweight, or did you gain over the last couple of years? At 24 I was still out to eat everything I wanted whenever I wanted. It's taken me years to accept that I am no longer seventeen years old. Is it possible that you have gained because you haven't adjusted your relationship to food as you've gotten older?

Since you posted here and were upfront about your fear of not eating enough....well, do you think that you maybe already know the answer to your question? You aren't eating enough. You're hungry. And you're worried. And reaching out, which is a good thing.

Don't let the brash responses put you off too much. Some people mean well but are tactless. Others don't mean well and are A-holes. Others will pounce on a post and start arguing and promoting their own agendas. But if you stay on the boards you will meet some really nice folks who will help you in meaningful ways.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    According to math you can eat more and still lose. If you are hungry please eat more. No need to make yourself suffer. I'd add an extra 300 calories. It will be like getting a small meal back or 2-3 decent snacks. I found this out from personal experience...the longer I stayed in a very high calorie deficit, the more likely I was to have a massive binge one day and eat everything in sight. I also couldn't sustain it and gained a bunch of weight back.

Better to eat a bit more so you aren't so hungry and lose a little slower.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

People are trying to make sense of such a rapid weight loss - the intention is to understand the puzzle.
    It's not hate or calling you a liar. No-one has torn you apart!

You didn't mention the diuretic so people are making the assumption of the approximate usual correlation of 1lb loss = 3500 cals to lose a pound of fat.

Losing a pound of water = zero calories.

Honestly think the best route is to talk to your Doctor not strangers on the internet.

Yes to all of this.. especially going back to the doctor.

Leaving off medication prescribed by a doctor in her OP that absolutely has everything to do with the weight loss can only leave the community grasping at straws and of course out right saying this rate of loss is dangerous. Nothing wrong with that.
  • normalicia11
    normalicia11 Posts: 474 Member
    I would definitely recommend that you go back to your doctor, if you are on lasix and losing all the wt(water weight probably), more likely you are also flushing out your electrolytes( including your potassium)and that could be really bad for your health.