random weight gain?!?

Options
Does anyone know why or how I could have gained almost 3 lbs overnight? I exercised, I was under my calorie goal, I did nothing different and when I woke up this morning I was almost 3 lbs heavier than yesterday morning. I was thinking maybe retaining water from sodium intake but the only salty food I had yesterday was 2 pieces of bacon with my breakfast which I don't usually eat but I made a nice breakfast for my family. I don't see 2 pieces of bacon causing me to retain 3 lbs of water either, unless someone knows different. If anyone has any idea what could have caused this sudden weight gain please let me know.

Replies

• sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to say, our bodies fluctuate all day every day, I go up a n down ALL the time!!! I'm really trying hard to get away from a number on the scale...I've been eating clean for 10 weeks, no alcohol and exercising like a demon and still gain sometimes, I've lost 8 cm off my waist and I can now run 10kmsI know it's hard but try and focus on other NSV's that are just as important, at least that's what I'm trying to do
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - no suggestions for you, sorry because I have been under calories, exercising faithfully, and upping my water consumption, and have gone up this week. It happens to me at times, then I suddenly drop those few pounds overnight - again no idea why because I don't do anything differently. Just know you aren't alone with this!
  • karabeara
    karabeara Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of things. Your muscles could retain water from your workout, you could have had some hidden sodium in things, you could be constipated? Sometimes the scale is just such an evil tool. If possible I'd pick a day to weigh in weekly (I'm actually trying to only weigh monthly - -tho it's hard) and not step on the scale in between. Try some other ways to measure your progress like take your measurements etc.
  • TerriClark13
    Options
    I try to weigh myself only once or twice a week. Your weight can flucuate as much as 5lbs in one day for no apparent reason, and it is very frustrated. I think with woman our hormone cycles affect it a lot also. Just keep doing the right things and it will keep going down, just not necessarily in a nice, smooth line.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    Does anyone know why or how I could have gained almost 3 lbs overnight? I exercised, I was under my calorie goal, I did nothing different and when I woke up this morning I was almost 3 lbs heavier than yesterday morning. I was thinking maybe retaining water from sodium intake but the only salty food I had yesterday was 2 pieces of bacon with my breakfast which I don't usually eat but I made a nice breakfast for my family. I don't see 2 pieces of bacon causing me to retain 3 lbs of water either, unless someone knows different. If anyone has any idea what could have caused this sudden weight gain please let me know.

Sodium isn't the only thing that causes you to hold water. Carbohydrates also cause you to hold water. Somewhere between 3-6 grams of water per gram of carbohydrate. Also, especially with women, certain times of the month cause certain hormonal changes which can cause a lot of water gain since hormones work in a synergistic way. There are a few hormones in the body (aldosterone and vassopressin being the main ones) that work on holding water.
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Sodium isn't the only thing that causes you to hold water. Carbohydrates also cause you to hold water. Somewhere between 3-6 grams of water per gram of carbohydrate. Also, especially with women, certain times of the month cause certain hormonal changes which can cause a lot of water gain since hormones work in a synergistic way. There are a few hormones in the body (aldosterone and vassopressin being the main ones) that work on holding water.

Thank you, this was really helpful. If it's something like carbs or hormones can I get rid of it by taking in more water or is it something I can't control? I just miscarried and had to have a d&c just over 2 weeks ago so my guess is hormones... ?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I gained about 2 pounds over night due to it being that time of the month.. and I know that when I weigh in again next week, it will have gone away.

Just keep drinking you're water and eating right and it will go away.
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options

Thank you, this was really helpful. If it's something like carbs or hormones can I get rid of it by taking in more water or is it something I can't control? I just miscarried and had to have a d&c just over 2 weeks ago so my guess is hormones... ?

My guess would be hormones as well. There isn't a whole lot you can do about that except fix whatever stress is involved in your life. It will naturally balance out after that. Sure, you can drink more water and that's usually a good thing but it's not going to alter your hormones in any way. You can also look into the natural route of supplements that have some success in people.

SAM-E
    Ashwagandha
    St Johns Wort
    L-Dopa
    Rhodiola

^----Look those up and see if it might help with any of the things you have going on in your life. I also suggest breathing exercises. Five minutes can make a huge difference.